Toro Recycler (20017) Won't Start; Makes a "Coughing" Noise.

Lawnmower-Question

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro Recycler (20017) Won't Start; Makes a "Coughing" Noise.
Howdy. I recently purchased a used Toro Recycler with a Briggs & Stratton engine. Unfortunately, it's already decided to quit on me. When I attempt to start the mower, the machine emits a coughing/burping sound from the carburetor. The below video demonstrates this sound:

When I spin the blade by hand, I get a similar sound (demonstrated below):

I've already checked the float and the bowl. They're spotless. I've also replaced the spark plug to no effect. Interestingly, the old spark plug was incredibly dirty.

Until now, the lawnmower has started on the first or second pull. I'm unsure if this is relevant, but I've been using the mower in dusty conditions (mowing ivy & weeds). I greatly appreciate anyone's help! I'm afraid I can't afford another mower at the moment. Thank y'all.

Ocean909

Threads
I don't have sound on this pc I'm using, but the simplest thing to do is pull the plug, squirt a small shot of carb cleaner, or good gas into the hole and try to start it. If It runs and dies, you know you have spark and compression. If not, check for spark next. Could be something as simple as a bad safety switch killing your spark or a clogged main jet.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds normal to me.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
mine sounds the same and it starts. Usually if I do an annual thorough cleaning and the bottom gets wet it will squeak like that. A little WD40 or silicone spray gets rid of it. Check for spark. Put a teaspoon of gas in the carb and see it if starts.