Export thread

Toro m/n 51972 weed eater

L

lgosnell

Trying to get this old 2006 14 year old Toro weed eater to run again. It had low compression so after inspecting piston and cylinder wall, didn't look bad so I ordered a new piston ring. It only uses one ring. Installed the new ring and pressure came up some but still low 70 psi. Wouldn't hit a lick with starting fluid in the spark plug hole or carburetor throat. Good spark, new $10.00 carb. After taking another look at it 6 months later, I think they sent me the wrong piston ring. The ring they sent is cut straight across at the ring ends but the piston has a slot type pin in the piston groove where the ring gap goes and is supposed to come together when the piston is inserted in the cylinder. I think it's loosing compression at the ring slot pin area. I have included 4 pictures. Picture #2 is the new ring that I installed and picture #1 is of a ring that came from another weed eater that is quite different at the ends than the straight across cut. Did they send me the wrong type ring and if so what do I need to replace it with. I want to get it right this time.

Appreciate any help
Newbee lgosnellpiston slot.jpgpiston slot (2).jpg

Attachments

L

lgosnell

think I need what's called a scalloped ring to go around the locator pin in the piston groove.

R

Rivets

I think you are correct in thinking you have received the wrong ring. Ryobi engines were used on those trimmers and Ryobi Part # 620161002 is the ring you need. Cost of a new ring is about $3.00 + shipping.

L

lgosnell

Thank you for the verification. Probably explains why I only had 70 psi compression after installing the new ring. It's been 6 months to a year since I replaced the ring so I don't know what the original really looked like. I just ordered from ereplacementparts Ryobi Piston Ring - 690161002 which is a different number than you list above Ryobi Piston Ring - 620161002. I hope it's right. I hate to get it wrong again. Thanks, Larry

R

Rivets

Your number is correct, big fingers resulted in my error. Sorry.