Export thread

Toro 522XI ignition coil replacement

T

tkos115

I have a Toro Wheelhorse 522xi lawn tractor with a bad ignition coil. It has a Kohler CH22S engine on it. It looks like I might have to pull the engine to be able to replace the coils because of how it's oriented. I'm not sure how else I could remove the blower housing cover. The engine is a horizontal shaft version with a pump shaft to the hydrostatic drive assembly.

Any ideas for how to do this? Thanks for your time and help

Tractor model number: 73561
Tractor S/N: 200000503

StarTech

StarTech

Should be as much any other garden tractor with horizontal shaft drive. Unbolt the drive shaft (so it can be remove out the way) and remove the engine's firewall baffle then you should slip the engine shroud off enough to change out the coil(s).

R

Rivets

Tried to do this once without pulling the engine, never again. On this unit the easiest way is to remove the engine, unless you like fighting the unit every step of the way.

StarTech

StarTech

But yes sometimes the engine has to be removed.

I

ILENGINE

And in this case I would pull the engine so you can replace both modules, otherwise you maybe repeating the procedure, and due to advances in the modules on some of those engines you maybe required to replace both anyway ie smart spark to MDI or DSAI to MDI.