Toro 22" Self Propelled Mower With Tecumseh Engine; Problems & Questions, Please

Robert1

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro 22" Self Propelled Mower With Tecumseh Engine; Problems & Questions, Please
Toro 22" Self Propelled Mower With Tecumseh Engine; Problems & Questions, Please

Hello.

Have a ten year old 22 inch Toro self propelled Mower. GTS Recycler (Tecumseh engine)

Lots of starting problems, but I
used that Sea Foam Carb cleaner in the Carb after removing
the carb. bowl. Tried to get into all the carb orifices

Made all the difference.
Unit now runs "well".

Have the following questions, though:

a. After running a while, and re-starting, the pull-cord is incredibly
hard to pull. Is there some kind of compression-release that isn't
releasing ? Or some other possibility ?

Really hard to pull, and if I can, it just about
wants to pull my hand off.

Question: Would it help to loosen up any compression release, or whatever might control this, if
I remove the spark plug, and squirt a lot of that carb. cleaner into it ? Some other thing(s) to try ?

b. there is a small brass colored adj screw coming out of the Carb.
It's horiz. oriented. Not on the bottom of the bowl; more towards the top.

What is this for ?
rpm control ?

The mower does work, but doesn't seem to have the same rpm and power as
before. Would adj. this screw help ?

If so, how should I ?

Again, thanks for help, much appreciated
Bob

Fishnuts2

Threads
  • / Toro 22" Self Propelled Mower With Tecumseh Engine; Problems & Questions, Please
Re: Toro 22" Self Propelled Mower With Tecumseh Engine; Problems & Questions, Please

I've learned on these motors to ALWAYS check the flywheel key. It can cause the same starting problems and more. My friend had one that a dealer wanted to install a new carb and all it turned out to be was a sheared key. $1.00 instead of $125.00. It might be worth a try!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Re: Toro 22" Self Propelled Mower With Tecumseh Engine; Problems & Questions, Please

You have a few different problems and some are connected. First as stated, check the flywheel key, could be the cause of a couple of problems. Pulling hard and jerking. Second, the small brass “screw as you call it” is not a screw, but the idle jet. You can remove it and check to see if both the horizontal and vertical orifaces are open. The horizontal one is very small, .018 inche. When you reinstall it, it may st be put in tight. Third, if you removed the carb, did you the assemble the two carb linkages to the governor correctly? The one with the spring goes in the lower hole and the solid link goes in the top hole.

Robert1

Forum Newbie
Threads

Hi Guys,

Just a quick thanks.
Excellent advice.

Thank you very much,
Bob

green dream

Threads

Hi Guys,

Just a quick thanks.
Excellent advice.

Thank you very much,
Bob
i have a toro recycler but the previous owner over tightened the flywheel bolt and broke the end off the crankshaft is it worth fixing?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Only you can answer that question. How much do you want to spend? New crankshaft will run you around $90. If done by a shop, not worth it. If done by DIY, it’s up to you.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it was mine, nothing really to lose, I'd try to drill down into the crank, tap it for 5/16 or 3/8, put a stud in it, self locking nut with washers/spacers to get the flywheel secured tight on it. Maybe use a steel key, might not work, but then again, it might. The crank is not a real hard material, drills and taps pretty easy. Not sure how the starter works on that motor though.