Toro 20037 (Super Recycler) restoration

mooch91

Threads
Any of you do restoration on the older Toro units? I have a 2001 vintage Super Recycler (model 20037) that I got for free a couple of years back. Previous owner said it was shot, burns a lot of oil. That it does, but I did a tune-up, replaced the blade, and it's been going fine, other than the multiple oil changes I do each season. Has the Personal Pace which works well.

I'm not really interested in taking it back to its original glory, but I would like to make it a solid trim mower. With the cast deck (aluminum?) and Toro reliability, I think it could be a great, long-lasting mower if I did a few things to it.

I used one of these on our yard growing up, and I remember the mulching ability and cut quality being excellent on mixed northern turf. I'm not seeing this one working as well now, and I'm attributing it to the "tired" engine.

So I'd like to replace engine and wheels.

Can anyone recommend an engine replacement for the B&S 6.5? If I've read correctly, unless it's an engine coming off another Toro, there will be some compatibility problems with crank size and blade adapter. Unless it's painfully easy, I'm not going to be in a position to fab anything up. I was excited about the prospect of one of the Harbor Freight Predator engines, but I don't see a quick route to get one installed. Would any other engine mate up - perhaps a donor from a less-coveted Toro (the standard Recycler, for example)?

Best choices for wheels, and any way to move away from the plastic ones that are installed?

Any other choices for forums for Toro walk behind restorations?

Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you elect to attempt this, I suggest you check your lock Toro dealer for cheap Toro tradeins. Might find one with good engine, bad transmission. No interchangeable wheels, but you must make sure the axle bearing hoc is good. If they get worn the meshing of the drive and wheel gears wear very quickly.