Toro 124T02 Carb Issues

gossamer

Threads
If you've been following along with my previous thread, I'm having some issues getting a Toro 124T02 started. It's a curb find from about two years ago that I'm finally trying to get running again. I replaced the carb then, but it may have been the wrong one, although I do recall it did work at one point.

Toro: 124T02-0161-B1 07081657
Briggs: 20065
Ser: 2800499996

This was the carb I purchased that may not have been correct, despite it saying it works with the 124T02:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C2YWN51/

Today I installed a different carb that also says it works with the 124T02:

I believe this is the link to the governor/throttle assembly for this model:

I believe this is the link to the carb for this model:

The difference between the two appears to be that the second one has the governor cable attached directly to the choke, while the first one has some kind of "autochoke". In the second one, the choke is in the rear of the air intake, while the choke is in the front of the air intake on the first one.

The problem now appears to be that the choke is pulled all the way open by the spring seen in the top-down picture here. It starts right away with some starting fluid, and will (usually) stay running if I fiddle with the choke/governor wire before it dies. Pressing the primer ball generally doesn't seem to do anything, but that's probably related to the main issue of the choke staying open even when the engine is cold.
toro-new-carb-042123.png

Here is a link to my previous post:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
First thing you don't know the difference between the choke and the throttle plate. the spring will hold the throttle full open unless the engine is running and then the governor and the connected rod will work to slow the engine down. The current carb doesn't have a choke which is the reason for the primer. The primer should squirt fuel into the carb from the nozzle sticking up in the center of the carb. that can be confirmed by watching inside the carb will pressing the primer bulb. No fuel with prime no cold start without starting fluid.

And the main issue with it running may be the junk Amazon carbs that don't work correctly about 50% if the time out of the box. And the reason that the Amazon listing shows works with that model is because that model may of been build with a primer carb, a manual choke carb, or an autochoke carb.

gossamer

Threads
First thing you don't know the difference between the choke and the throttle plate.
okay, understood now - I was referring to the throttle plate (or choke valve, apparently).

the spring will hold the throttle full open unless the engine is running and then the governor and the connected rod will work to slow the engine down. The current carb doesn't have a choke which is the reason for the primer. The primer should squirt fuel into the carb from the nozzle sticking up in the center of the carb. that can be confirmed by watching inside the carb will pressing the primer bulb. No fuel with prime no cold start without starting fluid.

And the main issue with it running may be the junk Amazon carbs that don't work correctly about 50% if the time out of the box. And the reason that the Amazon listing shows works with that model is because that model may of been build with a primer carb, a manual choke carb, or an autochoke carb.
Do you have a recommendation on either the proper carb to get or a better place to get it?

It looks like the primer bulb is not injecting fuel into the carb. How do I troubleshoot this? The bulb doesn't appear to have any holes in it. I've made sure the little hose that I believe assists with airflow is also properly connected. I've also tried attaching a completely different front plate and it also doesn't inject fuel into the carb when the primer bulb is pressed.

I don't fully understand how this works, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

gossamer

Threads
Okay, I worked on this further, and figured out the primer bulb problem. I took it apart completely, cleaned it out, and made sure the little hole lined up with hole in the carb. Now I know.

However, the problem now is that it runs rough. It won't stay running on its own because the choke is forced all the way open. If I play with it manually, I can keep it running long enough to warm up, and then it's (mostly) fine. It still runs somewhat rough. It's a brand new carb, and there are no adjustments on it. Does this sound like a faulty carb again?

The spark plug is also brand new.