Too much clearance on Toro spindle bearings?

stevens69

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings,

I just disassembled the spindle on my (~2003) Toro Pro-Line walk-behind mower (mows about 1 acre a week) in order to replace the bearings (original), and the clearances look all wrong to me. After removing the top nut, the spindle just dropped right out, and I was able to lift the top bearing out with my fingers. Using good Starrett tools, I measured 0.0031" oversize on the housing bore and -0.0021" undersize on the spindle, compared to the bearing dimensions. There's no sign of wear on the spindle--you can still see the machining marks clearly, and the diameter is the same all the way down. The housing is steel, and doesn't show damage. Obviously, with those clearances, new bearings are still going to wobble around in there. I suppose it's possible that over time the housing got "hammered" into a larger diameter, but you'd think you'd see signs of damage, and that still doesn't explain the spindle..

I was always under the impression that these things were supposed to be a slip fit or a light press fit. This mower is old enough that it's not worth replacing the spindle housing for ~$300. I'm thinking about replacing the bearings and trying to stuff shim stock and Loctite retaining compound in there to tighten it up. Does this make sense? Is this normal wear, or did the factory screw up?

Thank you!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On those older units what you found is not uncommon. I would just replace the bearings and make sure I torqued the nuts properly.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I do know that a loose fit on the HU675WHT trimmer will the spindle shaft to wear heavily which is why I sent those spindle shafts out to knurled and that is only .001 of an inch. Personally with the clearance in the hub being over .003" I would look into shimming it with .0015 shim stock but this me personally being picky about my bearings fit.