To Replace or Not

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have a 2006 Toro 20055 Super Recycler Personal Pace rear wheel drive mower, aluminum deck, that is smoking more and more on start up. Doesn't burn oil after the initial cloud, and oil level seems constant and no smell of fuel in it. Runs fine but it is now 16 years old with about 2 +/- hours use a month for 16 years, 2 +/- hours a month x 12 mo a year x 16 years = 384 +/- total hours. 190cc B&S 6.5 HP engine. In 2024 California is banning small gas engines and electric will be all that is available. I am trying to decide whether to keep it, do a full going over on it this winter, or replace it now before the ban, and if so with what. It looks like the current line of Toro mowers have smaller engines or are 60V electric. It has been maintained but mostly just cleaning and an annual oil change a year, air filter, occasional belt swap etc.. Soon it will need more I think just based on age. Some opinions. Model 20055 Serial 260015175. My guess is that the valve guides will be worn by now, and that likely means the work to fully rebuild it becomes more than a simple hone and re-ring.

nbpt100

Threads
First make sure your oil is not over filled. What color is the smoke? Is it blackish or is it white greyish? If black, it is too much gas and may just be a very rich mixture at start up. Are you over priming? How does it start? on 1 or 2 pulls or more?

FYI I picke up a used SR with the same engine and it does the same. I use SAE 30 vs. 10w-30 and it helps reduce the start up smoke. If it really bothered me I would next try SAE 40. It will help. I know people that run 20w-50 in tired small engines and they say it helps. But I do not think it will help with start up smoke.

I like that Quantum engine. If you take care of it, it can last a long time and provide plenty of Power to cut tall grass fast.

Another option is to Look for a used SR. There are good deals out there if you invest some time into it. You may find one with the same engine and you can swap it out to your old one if you think your deck is better. It may also also give you plenty of spare parts.

The New Briggs OHV engine are not as robust in my opinion. The 159CC OHV engine is powerful enough to cut grass. I can not comment on how well the Newer SR's mulch and perform relative to yours.

I really like the gerneration of SR that you currently own. Nice working machine. One of the best mulchers in a residential mower.

You have lots of options right now. Down the road the battery powered will get better and hopefully a bit cheaper.