To grease, or not to grease

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Troybilt pony M# 13WN77KS011

So I picked up a couple of MaxPower spindle assemblies from Amazon. These had the grease fittings on the mandrels. But out of curiosity, I decided to check to see if the bearings were sealed on both sides. One might thing that the inside would not be sealed, simply because there's a grease fitting on the mandrel.

Well low n behold, both sides of each bearing is sealed.

So the question remains, do you take the one seal off, so the grease can do it's thing. Keeping in mind, that the customer (this customer) probably won't grease it. Ever. That be the case, would it be better to just leave them both sealed with the grease that it there.

Or, unseal the the top of the bottom bearing (because that's where the grease will end up?

Questions questions questions.

Last edited:

Richie F

Threads
If they are sealed bearings don't worry about greasing them.
If you want to go through the trouble remove the seals on both bearings that face each other and grease away.
It's not yours. Just leave it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I would still repack the bearings as many are cheap Chinese bearing with even cheaper grease and re-install the seals. Or at least that what I do here using EP2 grease. As far does grease reach bearing on spindles with sealed bearings with grease fittings, I recentily did a test for myself to see if the extra grease would get into the bearings and it didnt with the seals in place.

Tinker Ty

Threads
I would agree. If you do grease, pull the seals out. Otherwise if you grease with the seals in place, you could do one of two things... nothing or end up creating pressure that will push outward.

Mower King

Threads
Troybilt pony M# 13WN77KS011

So I picked up a couple of MaxPower spindle assemblies from Amazon. These had the grease fittings on the mandrels. But out of curiosity, I decided to check to see if the bearings were sealed on both sides. One might thing that the inside would not be sealed, simply because there's a grease fitting on the mandrel.

Well low n behold, both sides of each bearing is sealed.

So the question remains, do you take the one seal off, so the grease can do it's thing. Keeping in mind, that the customer (this customer) probably won't grease it. Ever. That be the case, would it be better to just leave them both sealed with the grease that it there.

Or, unseal the the top of the bottom bearing (because that's where the grease will end up?

Questions questions questions.
Real common occurence.......as long as there is a grease zirk in the middle of the bearings, I take off both inside seals so it will get greased, then I explain this to the customer, they luv it...and you now have another returning customer!

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, I couldn't stand it. I had to do something. So since grease is going to fall, I took off the inside seal on the bottom bearing. But left the top sealed on both sides.
So, if the customer doesn't grease it, then it should have plenty of grease on the bottom bearing for a several years. Which is the one that usually goes out first.
It would've taken a whole tube of grease to fill it all up. I put about 50 squirts in each one. That should hold it. If I get it back for service next year, then I'll be sure to pump a lot of grease in it again.

NOTE: I can see how that inner spacer could create a lot of metal dust, by rubbing against the spindle. So sealed bearings in this type might not be such a bad idea.

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I quit removing the grease seals. I get my bearings from a local bearing shop. They are quality bearings. Customers don't grease spindles so i just replace the failed bearings with good bearings. If i buy whole spindles i replace the bearings with good ones before putting them on. As far as i can tell not much difference in how long they last either way.