Export thread

Tire pressure

T

toledoupsguy

Relatively new ZTR owner, got a Apex 52. Is the tire pressure Ariens recommends correct? 15-18psi rear, 20-25psi front. Got it from lowes and had about 8 rear and 12 front.

Thanks in advance.

R

Rivets

From my experience I would go with 15 psi in the rear and 25 psi in the front.

M

MParr

I run 13psi all around on my Pro Turn 260.
It will be up to you for your personal comfort. I suggest to try 12 psi in the rear and 15 psi up front and adjust for your comfort.

R

Rivets

Every Z-turn mower I’ve worked on has the front tire pressure at least twice the pressure as the rear.

My Scag takes 8 psi in rears, & 25psi in fronts.

M

MParr

Relatively new ZTR owner, got a Apex 52. Is the tire pressure Ariens recommends correct? 15-18psi rear, 20-25psi front. Got it from lowes and had about 8 rear and 12 front.

Thanks in advance.
With those recommended pressures, I would set at the lowest for each.
15 psi for rear and 20 psi for front. If it’s too bumpy, drop the rear pressure to 12-13 psi for rear and 15 psi for the front.

T

toledoupsguy

With those recommended pressures, I would set at the lowest for each.
15 psi for rear and 20 psi for front. If it’s too bumpy, drop the rear pressure to 12-13 psi for rear and 15 psi for the front.
I didn't think it was too bumpy since I have a suspension seat on it but I did slide on slopes where it never has before.

M

MParr

I didn't think it was too bumpy since I have a suspension seat on it but I did slide on slopes where it never has before.
Lower air pressure will help with some of the slipping.
I had a similar size Toro ZX5400. I ran 15 up front and 13 in the rear. That setup was settled on after some trial and error.

RingSteel

RingSteel

Get your PDF manual from Ariens website.
Also tire pressure will affect blade height compared to the built in adjustments. So I've read.
I'm not a landscaper so perfect cuts are not my priority.
Seat time will tell you what works best once you've gotten Ariens manual for their recommended pressures.
IF you have 10 degree slopes dropping down a psi or two will help with grip.
I've got a three point grip on mine: two tires and my pucker factor keep me planted....
Slopes on my area based on tractor mounted incline-meter and tilt-meter. 12-15 degrees are my "don't go there" limits.

M

MParr

One thing to consider on your front tire pressures. There isn’t much weight on the front of a zero turn. The more air that is in the front tires, the more bounce you will get on rough terrain.

StarTech

StarTech

One thing to consider on your front tire pressures. There isn’t much weight on the front of a zero turn. The more air that is in the front tires, the more bounce you will get on rough terrain.
Yelp lower sometimes is need to keep the mower from being a kidney/back buster. Lots of tree roots and mole holes here and I have to run lower pressures. I had one customer with foam filled tires that I hurt for two after mowing my yard with it while testing a repair for an intermittent problem.

M

MParr

Yelp lower sometimes is need to keep the mower from being a kidney/back buster. Lots of tree roots and mole holes here and I have to run lower pressures. I had one customer with foam filled tires that I hurt for two after mowing my yard with it while testing a repair for an intermittent problem.
Down South, we have Armadillo holes to contend with too. Those boogers will mess up a yard looking for earthworms and grubs.

Always something, never a dull moment.

starman19

starman19

Thanks in advance.
I have a 52 Edge. I put 15 psi in the rear and 22 psi in the front, but I'm bigger than the average bear...lol.

M

MParr

I have a 52 Edge. I put 15 psi in the rear and 22 psi in the front, but I'm bigger than the average bear...lol.
Start at the minimum recommendations and adjust from there.

G

GrumpyCat

Why wouldn't Ariens know best the tire pressure to use in your mower? Do you think they are just saying that for best MPG?

If you are on the heavy side then you might consider inflating tires to the upper range Ariens recommends. Or if you are lax in checking tire pressure.

Remember tire pressure is the first step in setting mower deck height. Low tire on one side, uneven cut.

S

slomo

Do you think they are just saying that for best MPG?
LOL, this guys is a keeper. :D(y)(y)🍺

M

MParr

Why wouldn't Ariens know best the tire pressure to use in your mower? Do you think they are just saying that for best MPG?

If you are on the heavy side then you might consider inflating tires to the upper range Ariens recommends. Or if you are lax in checking tire pressure.

Remember tire pressure is the first step in setting mower deck height. Low tire on one side, uneven cut.
The higher the air pressure, the more bumpy the ride. The ride is worse when there is no suspension seat or air ride seat.

It has zero to do with MPG. Fuel consumption on a mower is measured in Gallons per Acre.

S

slomo

The higher the air pressure, the more bumpy the ride. The ride is worse when there is no suspension seat or air ride seat.

It has zero to do with MPG. Fuel consumption on a mower is measured in Gallons per Acre.
You know a bit of comedy was offered right? The MPG thing? Funny ha-ha........

M

MParr

You know a bit of comedy was offered right? The MPG thing? Funny ha-ha........
Absolutely