Tips to help prevent lawn mower-related injuries

macky

Threads
It's frightening to find out that 200,000 lawn-mower accidents happen each year in the U.S. Of that number, 16,000 happen to children. These are preventable accidents, or so the site says.

I see other threads in this forum about mower accidents. Let me go straight to the tips on how to prevent them to happen to children:

1. Children should be at least 12-years-old before they operate any lawn mower, and at least 16- years-old for a ride-on mower.
  2. Children should never be passengers on ride-on mowers.
  3. Always wear sturdy shoes while mowing - not sandals.
  4. Young children should be at a safe distance from the area you are mowing.
  5. Pick up stones, toys and debris from the lawn to prevent injuries from flying objects.
  6. Always wear eye and hearing protection.
  7. Use a mower with a control that stops it from moving forward if the handle is released.
  8. Never pull backward or mow in reverse unless absolutely necessary - carefully look for others behind you when you do.
  9. Start and refuel mowers outdoors - not in a garage. Refuel with the motor turned off and cool.
  10. Blade settings should be set by an adult only.
  11. Wait for blades to stop completely before removing the grass catcher, unclogging the discharge chute, or crossing gravel roads. (As a safety feature, some newer models have a blade/brake clutch that stops the blade each time the operator releases the handle.)

Source: Children Often Victims Of Lawn Mower Accidents

hornet

Threads
One that I was caught out on many years ago with a push along lawnmower, feet position, when I started the mower I didn't realise my foot was underneath the mower, next to the blades, nearly lost the top of my big toe, the trainers (sneakers) weren't so lucky.

mois25

Threads
Good tips but I am sure they will take time to sink into people's minds given we take most of these safety procedures for granted until of course things go wrong.

I agree that we should never let our kids near these machines.