Tip of the day

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wallymart has a 2 gallon jug of Supertech 30w oil for like 19 bucks and change. When you google it the walmart site says discontinued. I found a new labeled jug in the store now.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Keep the dirt, oil, grass and bugs clear of the cylinder block cooling fins.

timc1018

Threads

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mine was low, did not have any 00 grease so I just used Gear Oil until I can get to Tractor Sup to pick some up.
Sounds good Timc1018.

What I do is remove the trans on a new to me used mower. Remove the fill cap and dump out the maybe 1 tablespoon that's in there LOL. Every used mower I've had was basically bone dry. People don't know to check it I guess. It's in the mower manual. Fill with Diesel and rotate the shaft both ways. Dump and refill a few times. Fill again and let sit overnight. Depending on how dirty, might need another flush or three. Good thing Diesel is cheap like $2.75 a gallon. It's the best greasy/oily parts cleaner I know for cheap. Brake cleaner or canned death as I call it is expensive and not good on the lungs, skin or eyes. Old paint brush and Diesel will clean anything. If the mower is a Commercial or a keeper, I will split the case and brush out with Diesel. Sure quietens the trans down. Diesel doesn't harm the seals either like canned death will. People clean carbs with it. It will eat/distort a plastic carb float in no time. Carb bowl gaskets and such too. Those new Briggs plastic carbs, look out.

I use Magic Lube on carb bowl gaskets and others like intake gaskets. It's a 100% silicone grease, safe for rubber parts. It's made for the swimming pool industry. Those pump baskets have a big O-ring. It's super sticky and doesn't wash away in water. Also household plumping and many other uses. Helps gasket removal next time tremendously.

The wisdom I heard was Snapper uses 00 so it doesn't leak out too fast plus still flows to protect. I wouldn't wait on getting some 00. That gear oil is drastically different than 00. Hey, any lube is better than nothing.

I just filled up my new to me demo, 13 year old Honda GXV160 Commercial pusher with half a quart. I thought it would be near the top. Little guy is full now. Waiting on an Oregon 99-121 blade. Haven't mowed with it yet. Oh and one old manual says to not use over 2oz in it. The newer manuals say fill till you see it on the top gears. I fill all the way up.

slomo