Export thread

Tiger II efi no crank condition

S

SiScagCat

Hello everyone!
I thought I had resolved a no start situation with a new battery, however I am back to not having my mower crank/start unless I’m on my battery booster or onboard battery is at a very very high state of charge > 12.9v. When all safeties are happy and I hit the key, nothing. I have ~12.7v on the battery and see the same at the purpleish blue solenoid wire (when disconnected) when the key is turned. It seems odd that when I increase the voltage via jump box (14v), I'm able to get it to crank & start and am just wondering if anyone thinks this could be something other than a starter/solenoid before I go changing parts. I am also able to get it to crank when jumping the solenoid or when battery voltage exceeds 13.9 via boost box. Engine is a Kohler ECV749
Thanks!!

I

ILENGINE

Sound like a bad connection some place. Basically you have voltage but no current. Can you test the purple wire with it connect to the solenoid.

S

SiScagCat

Sound like a bad connection some place. Basically you have voltage but no current. Can you test the purple wire with it connect to the solenoid.
0 v when I hit the key with positive probe on the solenoid and neg at battery ground. When I connect my test light between solenoid and purple, I get light. When I put neg probe on positive batt post, and pos probe on solenoid with purple connected, I get within.2v of battery voltage. After leaving the battery on a charger for 30min @ 14v it cranks like nothing is wrong... This hurts my head... Lol

I

ILENGINE

Time to start tracing wires. you have a corroded/broken/loose connection some place in the start circuit. Basically you have a circuit that will carry voltage and a small current, but not enough amps to energize the starter solenoid. If you run a wire from battery positive to the small terminal on the starter solenoid will the engine crank. I suspect yes.