Throttle linkage on 5hp tiller engine

BrindleDog

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a new carb for an old 5hp B&S engine. After reassembling it and connecting the throttle linkage wire, the butterfly valve in the carb has very limited movement. This is the first time I've ever worked on an engine. Is anyone familiar with what I'm describing?
The valve can operate normally until I link it to the throttle control. Here are a couple of photos. Thanks for any info. 44820DC0-03B9-4122-BE30-1D494310733A_1_201_a.jpeg4EA502B4-6F47-46A5-BDAF-A196AB21282A_1_201_a.jpeg

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
did you take before disassembly photos to compare to?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Try removing linkages from black cam on carburetor, rotate black cam 180 degrees & reinstall linkages & see if this helps.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The rod is connected wrong. The rod connects the govenor arm on the side of the engine to the butterfly belcrank. The spring connect the linkage in the bottom of the tank to the govenor arm

BrindleDog

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks a lot for your advice. Hammermechanicman is correct, I pulled the tiller out and saw the connection on the side of the engine. I didn't take enough photos to get it back together correctly. Thanks a lot!

Any order of connections I should know before assembling? It's a tight space behind the fuel tank.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your new carb is a Chi-Sneeze Gambler Series. Those work as long as you verify the fuel pump works/plunges up and down proper. I had to do some milling to open the pump hole up a bit to get the pump to plunge proper.

Your old carb is the old style and is what goes on that engine. Boil clean it and reinstall.

Clean that fuel tank like you just bought it from a mower shop. Clean clean clean......

I would double up on the carb mounting gaskets. The OEM Briggs is about 1/8" thick or more. Same gasket in the Amazon/Ebay Chinese carb kit is half or less in thickness. See where this is going? Don't over torque the carb mount. Screws go into an aluminum block.

Most of these parts are no longer made by Briggs. Careful with every screw and such as you go along.

That carb will require a new air filter housing. Which are no longer made. I finally found one for one I am working on. As in over a year now LOL. What did you do for an air filter?