Export thread

throttle linkage diagram, high revving regardless of throttle cable setting

O

oldntired55

I cannot believe i messed this up. i recently acquired a DLT craftsman with 25 hp v twin. it had been sitting idle with no exhaust pushrods ( someone borrowed them) for about 3 yrs. i removed and carefully cleaned the carb just to be safe... set valve clearances and fired it up... it sounded like it was going too fast...way too fast. i killed it, checked throttle rod to be sure it wasnt binding, and i can feel the governor shaft turn with the linkage being pushed. i might add i had another tractor here with the same carb, taken apart for cleaning... i did not have the same problem with that one. so i ruled out the wrong throttle link rod on the wrong machine. any ideas? should i check and adjust the governor? never had this before, and ive cleaned several of these Nikki carbs. help...a complete diagram of the proper throttle links and choke rod would be helpful,,, my main problem with this machine, is the id tag is faded way beyond reading any numbers.

Attachments

H

hlw49

If this is a Briggs engine the model type and code no is stamped into the valve cover opposite the the fuel pump. This is what is needed.

O

oldntired55

I cannot believe i messed this up. i recently acquired a DLT craftsman with 25 hp v twin. it had been sitting idle with no exhaust pushrods ( someone borrowed them) for about 3 yrs. i removed and carefully cleaned the carb just to be safe... set valve clearances and fired it up... it sounded like it was going too fast...way too fast. i killed it, checked throttle rod to be sure it wasnt binding, and i can feel the governor shaft turn with the linkage being pushed. i might add i had another tractor here with the same carb, taken apart for cleaning... i did not have the same problem with that one. so i ruled out the wrong throttle link rod on the wrong machine. any ideas? should i check and adjust the governor? never had this before, and ive cleaned several of these Nikki carbs. help...a complete diagram of the proper throttle links and choke rod would be helpful,,, my main problem with this machine, is the id tag is faded way beyond reading any numbers.
i forgot to list model and code of the engine... model # 445777 type 0129 code 000614YG

O

oldntired55

If this is a Briggs engine the model type and code no is stamped into the valve cover opposite the the fuel pump. This is what is needed.
i just added them to my post, thanks

O

oldntired55

i just added them to my post, thanks
model # 445777 type 0129 code 000614YG

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

model # 445777 type 0129 code 000614YG
Start engine and hold the governor linkage to maintain a safe engine speed. Reset governor as needed. If no change then most likely the governor gear took a crap. Remove engine, crack case, replace governor gear, install engine.

O

oldntired55

Start engine and hold the governor linkage to maintain a safe engine speed. Reset governor as needed. If no change then most likely the governor gear took a crap. Remove engine, crack case, replace governor gear, install engine.
thank you, thats my next step. on back burner for now..will re post after i tear it down

F

Forest#2

To see if the governor on that OHV twin Intek do a static governor adjust but INSTEAD OF rotating the governor shaft in same direction as the governor arm, hole the carb throttle open and TURN THE GOVERNOR SHAFT CCW OR IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION.
If the internal engine governor is operating and the governor spring is connected the engine will low idle if the throttle is set to slow speed when the engine is started.
This adjustment is just the opposite of what normal static governor adjustment per the manual but it will let you know if the governor is capable of pulling the throttle to slow speed.
Let us know the results of the above and we can then tell you how to get a governor control for that TWO BARREL NIKKI CARB.
Sometimes a Bubba has been making bend adjustments to the slow idle governor control linkage or even removed some parts.
The Briggs Twin OHV Intek service manual is a good reference at about
$30.

H

hlw49

If it is the governor hope the shaft the governor works on is not wallowed out in the block.

O

oldntired55

To see if the governor on that OHV twin Intek do a static governor adjust but INSTEAD OF rotating the governor shaft in same direction as the governor arm, hole the carb throttle open and TURN THE GOVERNOR SHAFT CCW OR IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION.
If the internal engine governor is operating and the governor spring is connected the engine will low idle if the throttle is set to slow speed when the engine is started.
This adjustment is just the opposite of what normal static governor adjustment per the manual but it will let you know if the governor is capable of pulling the throttle to slow speed.
Let us know the results of the above and we can then tell you how to get a governor control for that TWO BARREL NIKKI CARB.
Sometimes a Bubba has been making bend adjustments to the slow idle governor control linkage or even removed some parts.
The Briggs Twin OHV Intek service manual is a good reference at about
$30.
I actually DID do just that, with no change... when it fires, it revs out of control. i have a parts engine,i am pretty sure the gov gear is toast... i just need time to tear the 2 down. but ty for the info!!

F

Forest#2

I actually DID do just that, with no change... when it fires, it revs out of control. i have a parts engine,i am pretty sure the gov gear is toast... i just need time to tear the 2 down. but ty for the info!!
I actually DID do just that, with no change... when it fires, it revs out of control.

I recently had same problem as you with one of those twin Inteks. It was a new to me engine that had bad carb plus other things and people had be flogging the engine creating numerous issues..
When I got it cranked up it would go to max throttle but would slow idle if I held the carb manually. I was thinking about pulling the sump and checking the governor but one last attempt at the slow idle static adjust, I got results.
The governor shaft coming out of the engine was actually slipping in the the governor arm. The 7/16 locknut had to be really snug and not limp wristed. Had to use a 1/4 inch drive ratchet with a 7/16 socket and get it good tight.
Problem solved.
If it is broken inside the block be sure and find
all the pieces of the puzzle or the gears will eventually find them.

O

oldntired55

I actually DID do just that, with no change... when it fires, it revs out of control.

I recently had same problem as you with one of those twin Inteks. It was a new to me engine that had bad carb plus other things and people had be flogging the engine creating numerous issues..
When I got it cranked up it would go to max throttle but would slow idle if I held the carb manually. I was thinking about pulling the sump and checking the governor but one last attempt at the slow idle static adjust, I got results.
The governor shaft coming out of the engine was actually slipping in the the governor arm. The 7/16 locknut had to be really snug and not limp wristed. Had to use a 1/4 inch drive ratchet with a 7/16 socket and get it good tight.
Problem solved.
If it is broken inside the block be sure and find
all the pieces of the puzzle or the gears will eventually find them.
ok thanks for the info, i can manually pull it down to idle, or , use a spring to pull it back...ill check that and let you know!!

O

oldntired55

ok thanks for the info, i can manually pull it down to idle, or , use a spring to pull it back...ill check that and let you know!!
So, after tearing this engine apart for the THIRD time, with a gov issue... i found this in the sump/crankcase...i realize that governor shaft is NOT supposed to come out, but it did, and it ruined the new governor. have another one ordered... in the mean time, i put of some of my limited machine shop skills to work, i drilled and tabbed the block for a 1/4 inch set screw... yes i realize thats a hardened shaft,after some careful measurements and blue dye, i ground a few notches into the shaft, for the set screw to bite on. also , took a prick punch inside the block hole, and put a small dab of JB WEld on the shaft, wiping clean any excess that oozed out. then, tightened the set screw(with Loctite)..and staked it in . the gear is on and holding now. wish me luck when i start it up... if it doesn't work, ill be tearing down another v twin and using that block!!!

Attachments

O

oldntired55

So, after tearing this engine apart for the THIRD time, with a gov issue... i found this in the sump/crankcase...i realize that governor shaft is NOT supposed to come out, but it did, and it ruined the new governor. have another one ordered... in the mean time, i put of some of my limited machine shop skills to work, i drilled and tapped the block for a 1/4 inch set screw... yes i realize thats a hardened shaft,after some careful measurements and blue dye, i ground a few notches into the shaft, for the set screw to bite on. also , took a prick punch inside the block hole, and put a small dab of JB WEld on the shaft, wiping clean any excess that oozed out. then, tightened the set screw(with Loctite)..and staked it in . the gear is on and holding now. wish me luck when i start it up... if it doesn't work, ill be tearing down another v twin and using that block!!!
i also realize it was a lot of time and extra work, but i never in my 45+ yrs of being a ,mechanic, was one to 'give up'. i wiull beat this thing...one way or another!