Throttle issues with older HRC216 mower

wayneb64

Forum Newbie
Threads
I fired up my mower today and everything worked great at first. When I engage the blade the engine revs up and when I disengage the blade it revs back down. As I continued to use it the rev up and down got progressively slower until near the end it would NOT rev down after disengaging the blade. I can 'fix' this by tapping the throttle control mechanism but the reverse I cannot due. When I engage the blade the throttle does not rev up so I have very slow RPMs, not great for mowing.

Another possibly related issue is that every now and then the blade cable 'slips' and disengages, like I didn't get a good 'grip' on it when I engaged it. Engaging it again works fine.

My theory is that sitting idle all winter, things got cold and the cable tightened up. While I used it, it warmed up and 'stretched' out a little so it's not entirely engaging whatever mechanism adjusts the throttle for the additional load of the blade.

Any ideas as to what I should try? My best guess is adjusting the cable nuts like I did for the throttle cable itself but if something internal needs attention I have no idea where to get at that.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do you have the Operators Manual? Post your complete model & serial numbers. I would purchase a Shop Repair Manual for your HR216.
scroll down page on left side will say Shop Manuals, Commercial Mower then click on HRC.

Last edited:

wayneb64

Forum Newbie
Threads
MODEL: HRC216 K1 HXA
SERIAL NO: MZAN-6161445

wayneb64

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got the shop manual and I have flipped through it. All kinds of diagrams on how all of the parts go together but no new information on diagnosing the issue. Fiddling with the blade clutch cable is still my only course.