The infamous GCV160 AutoChoke

Sandman73

Forum Newbie
Threads
For years I have lived with these three design issues on my GCV160. The auto choke just never worked from day one.

First the thermowax was redesigned (I think they are on version three), after replacing the thermowax cylinder it still didn't work properly, then they came out with a new control arm, by the time I found out and changed it the thermowax had failed again. After replacing the thermowax again, I finally had my auto choke working! but it still didn't start well in cold weather. Basically I had to manually press the auto choke lever to get the engine up to speed so it could get hot enough.

Then I found this bulletin that states the governor control spring has been redesigned. Finally after 5+ years my lawn mower starts!

I hope this helps someone else.....and yes I had it to a authorized dealer, told me I should change the gas weekly......

Attachments

• GCV160LA0S3B_Engine_Chugs_and_Stalls_After_Start-up.pdf
    631.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Reparation Autochoke som fastnat-GCV140-160-190 .pdf
    512.8 KB · Views: 19

GrumpyCat

Threads
When I had an autochoke Honda I learned if I turned the engine off for 10 minutes that I had to wait another 20 before trying to start it. It would choke and not start.