Attachments The grass chute on JD L-108 mower

Burgess

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good evening, This is my first post here. My name is Burgess and I live in Spokane.

I bought a L-108 about 7-8 years ago and it has been a tough mower, I give it that. What I want to ask you all is....has anyone besides me thought about selling theirs because of the way the discharge chute attaches to the mowing deck?

Granted, I am pretty old now and also too beat up at 82 to get on my hands a knees to attach it. Hence, my son-in-law, who wants to force things to fit, has had to put the thing on for me most of the time for the last two or three years. Now the slot where the knobbed bent metal rod goes in has been spread, bent and hammered so often that it is about on its last legs. The knob thing is not too much better. It makes me wonder how a design engineer could leave that one item look like the Russians designed it.

Question: Has anyone come up with anything to make that better or get rid of it permanently? Please help me with some ideas please. I hate to think what the replacement cost for the chute would be. Buying a new deck is out of the question, but a good welder could fix that easily.

Also I see the new mowers finally have the washout attachment on the deck. Has there been an aftermarket fix for the olld ones?

PJ

Threads
Good evening, This is my first post here. My name is Burgess and I live in Spokane.

I bought a L-108 about 7-8 years ago and it has been a tough mower, I give it that. What I want to ask you all is....has anyone besides me thought about selling theirs because of the way the discharge chute attaches to the mowing deck?

Granted, I am pretty old now and also too beat up at 82 to get on my hands a knees to attach it. Hence, my son-in-law, who wants to force things to fit, has had to put the thing on for me most of the time for the last two or three years. Now the slot where the knobbed bent metal rod goes in has been spread, bent and hammered so often that it is about on its last legs. The knob thing is not too much better. It makes me wonder how a design engineer could leave that one item look like the Russians designed it.

Question: Has anyone come up with anything to make that better or get rid of it permanently? Please help me with some ideas please. I hate to think what the replacement cost for the chute would be. Buying a new deck is out of the question, but a good welder could fix that easily.

Also I see the new mowers finally have the washout attachment on the deck. Has there been an aftermarket fix for the olld ones?

Hi Burgess

Ya it looks like your machine has done a lot of hour to now good maintanance is very important to prevent the operator from being injured. I am shure that one could get replacement parts from your local JD dealer at a reasonable price.plus on the other hand is it worth it putting the safety of yourself or bystanders in danger.

Regards
PJ