Export thread

Tethered Gas Cap Removal

B

Bob S

I would like to remove my gas cap. How can I remove the tether so that I can completely remove the cap? If the need should arise to replace the gas cap surely there is some trick to get the cap off without just cutting the tether and letting it fall to the bottom of the tank. Is there some trick to doing this? This is for a Scag Liberty Zero Turn

R

Rivets

Which type of unit or brand of engine are you dealing with. Many different types of tethering systems and guessing is not are part of a good techs skills.

B

Bob S

Kawasaki FR691V

R

Rivets

That is the engine, but the gas tank and cap are supplied by the equipment manufacturer. Model and serial numbers off the unit would help.

B

Bob S

Model SMZL-52

SERIEL # N7602993

R

Rivets

On that cap you should be able to squeeze the tether end and pull it out of the tank. Very easy to remove and put back in Without damaging it.

B

Bob S

Thanks I'll try that.

sgkent

sgkent

smiling at the question. I have a small engine that has a cap tether. Hated it until it broke and now I miss it everytime the cap blows off somewhere and rolls on the ground while I am trying to fill the tank. :)

On that cap you should be able to squeeze the tether end and pull it out of the tank. Very easy to remove and put back in Without damaging it.
Rivets- You beat me to it.. Exactly what I was going to post.. (y)

S

SeniorCitizen

smiling at the question. I have a small engine that has a cap tether. Hated it until it broke and now I miss it everytime the cap blows off somewhere and rolls on the ground while I am trying to fill the tank. :)
Lay it in the seat and you won't forget to replace it .

O

oneoldsap

Why would you want to do that ?

sgkent

sgkent

Lay it in the seat and you won't forget to replace it .
two stroke blower. I don't forget it, a wind gust sometimes carries it away, or I fumble it.

Neighbor mowed about 1/2 his property till I saw his gas cap hanging on side tethered, stopped him & let him know.. Seems he forgot to put it back on after gas up..

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

How silly is this, but it is illegal to cut it off as any modification to a emission part is illegal and that is an emission part. Who will enforce this law is the question. I just think it another stupid example of American law.

Who will enforce this law is the question
Oh I would report myself asap..