Tecumseh ohh60 valve replacement

KellyDonovan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all -

I'm in need of some help. I have an Eager1 tiller with the Tecumseh ohh60 engine. While tilling, the upper spring retainer, which holds the intake valve stem head, broke and when the piston reached the top of the stroke it slammed the intake valve stem head into the OHV cap and bent the valve stem.

I ordered a new valve and it came with the upper retainer, and also the lower retainer. This lower retainer keeps the valve from falling down into the piston chamber if the piston is at the bottom of its stroke. Nice feature, but here's my problem: I can't seem to get the old valve out because I can't get the valve stem head past the lower retainer. I assume the lower retainer must come out, but it doesn't seem to be designed to come out. So,

1. How do I get the old valve out? Does that involve removing the lower valve retainer? If so, how do I remove it?
2. Assuming I can get the old valve and retainer out, what exactly holds the new lower retainer in place?

Thanks for your help,

KD

KellyDonovan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. I had looked at the manual already, but it never mentions how to remove the valves.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Page 78 shows how to install, just reverse the steps. Also read page 69.

KellyDonovan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Page 78 shows how to install the upper spring cap retainer. That's not the problem. The issue is the lower retainer, which they don't mention. Page 69 is great for setting valve lash, but there is no mention of how to remove the valves.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I don’t understand what you mean by lower retainer, lower spring washer should just pop out.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Here's the parts diagram all i see are a valve seal on the bottom, a valve then the valve retainer, 151A 150 and 151., Could the valve be bent in the guide and it's jammed into the guide?
diagram.gif

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It is a valve stem seal and the op needs a flat file. Take it from there.

KellyDonovan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, thanks for the various replies. The picture below was my situation. You can see that the intake valve stem is bent, so it naturally would not pass through the valve guide. Note that the exhaust valve is not bent, but will not pass through the valve guide either. This led me to believe that, somehow, the guide had to come out in order to remove the valve. Still, what I couldn't figure out was how the new valve was supposed to pass through the valve guide.

Well, I cut the head off the bent intake valve and removed it. I then took the new valve and tried it in the valve guide and it passed right through. I guess this means that the valve stem head must get fractionally wider over time, thus not allowing it to pass through the valve guide. This must be what Startech meant when he suggested using a file, to slim down the valve stem head.

So, the issue is resolved. I still don't know what this other valve guide Partstree sent with the valve is supposed to do. I put the link below, and you can see the piece I'm talking about in the picture at the link.

Thanks for the help guys.

Kd

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To the best of my knowledge the OHH engines did not offer a replacement valve guide, you needed to replace the entire head. The parts you received are a valve and keepers. Can’t really tell from picture, but the one valve guide looks severely worn to me. Have you measured it and compared it to the engine specs.