Tecumseh LV195EA (6.5 HP) surging/uneven idle

civic

Threads
I have the same carb and just rebuilt it. I did replace the welch plugs very easy. Look on the internet and find the rebuild procedure. Also use a very thin wire, I used a welders tip cleaning tool to clean out passages. My engine runs better than new now. I also bought a Chinese never worked right. Good luck.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have the same carb and just rebuilt it. I did replace the welch plugs very easy. Look on the internet and find the rebuild procedure. Also use a very thin wire, I used a welders tip cleaning tool to clean out passages. My engine runs better than new now. I also bought a Chinese never worked right. Good luck.

Welding tip cleaner sticks are hardened abrasive steel. Main jet, pilot jets and emulsion tubes sometimes are brass. Brass is softer than steel. Never mind.....

slomo

Pabilo

Threads
I finally received the carburetor kit. I completely rebuilt the carburetor including removing the Welch plugs and clearing all the ports with a small wire and carburetor cleaner. I replaced the emulsion tube o-rings. I replaced the primer bulb. I found a very helpful document on-line about servicing my particular Tecumseh carburetor (series 11). I found that the tiny port in the tip of the idle restrictor screw was completely plugged. It was difficult to get it open but I finally succeeded with a very small needle and a piece of small gauge wire that I cut off of a wire brush. Even the small wire in a twist tie would not fit through it (is this normal?). I assume that this blockage was most likely the cause of the surging.

The mower started easily and the surging was gone!! However, it was missing occasionally. I had replaced the original Champion RJ19LM with a new, equivalent Briggs and Stratton plug. I removed that plug and measured the resistance. It was 11,500 ohms. Too high? Should I be worried that my coil\ electronic ignition is weak? I tried a non-resistor plug that I had in my old parts box (Champion J19LM) and the engine ran perfectly! Since this is a model with electronic ignition, I assume that I should use a resistor plug. I am going to find a non-Champion resistor plug (is NGK-BR2LM OK?) and try it.

Anyway, it runs fine now. Thanks to Rivets, slomo and Tinker Ty for the great advice.

Pabilo

Threads
.....and thanks to civic also.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check that you have no water in the gas.

Pabilo

Threads
The gas is fresh. Also, I drained and cleaned the gas tank (with gas and carb cleaner, not water) as part of my troubleshooting.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unless it is very irritating I wouldn’t wo about it.