Export thread

Tecumseh H35 - Dies As Soon As Any Load Put To It

A

AdamE

Folks, I've got a Troy-Bilt Junior tiller with an H35-45593S engine that starts and idles fine, but it dies if I throttle it up too fast or, if I slowly give it full throttle, it dies as soon as I even lightly engage the belt. It dies quickly too. As if I grounded out the coil.

This is the first time starting it in a year or so, but it ran fine the last time I used it.

Could this be something as simple as fuel supply?

Thanks!

sgkent

sgkent

or bad gasoline

R

Rivets

Your HS35 has an adjustable carb. First thing I would try is to open the high-speed mixture screw (one on the bottom of the carb) an 1/8 of a turn to give it a little more fuel. If I couldn’t fix it by making a fuel adjustment, I’d be rebuilding the carb. This manual might help you out. https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Te...P-4-CYCLE-L-HEAD-FLAT-HEAD-ENGINES-692509.pdf

A

AdamE

Thanks folks.

I ran it dry the last time I used it. Fresh gas today.

I'll try try carb adjustments later this week. I'm pooped and work starts again tomorrow.

V

VegetiveSteam

Does a tiny bit of choke help at all or does that immediately make it worse?

A

AdamE

Thanks all.

I finally had a chance to mess with the tiller. It started right up and I made some carb adjustments. It seems okay now except that it quickly surges up and down when under load. I was still able to till the small patch I wanted to.

I'll keep working on her.

sgkent

sgkent

make the fast run mixture a fraction (like 1/10th) of a turn richer (more open) if you have a high speed screw.