Tecumseh Formula 12.5 203040D

geobee

Threads
Hi all, new here, have some mechanical exp, but qualifications are in the auto electrical areas. Have the above engine on a westwood 42'' cut machine, and it needs some serious overhauling. It is fairly fumy from the engine breather, and the starter has packed it in. It does run, but lacks power when cutting. I am trying to decide weather to just ditch the Tecumseh and get one of these Chinese made 13HP engines and do a complete engine swap, or purchase the parts for this older Tecumseh. I see by looking over the engine that they were built to go the distance, but as Tecumseh is not all that well known here in Australia, I would be looking at sourcing all the bits, starter, rings, gaskets etc from the States. The 13 HP Chinese engines are just under the $500 AU. Any advice on this decision that I have to make would be good. Many thanks.

geobee

Threads
Thanks Mark, that will be a great start. Regards. Geoff

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have an OVXL125-203040D which is a good engine, but I would not stick more than $150 in parts into it. You might be able to rebuild it for less than $500, but rebuilding it would only be something I would do for my own personal use. I am able to do my own boring and grinding and be able to come out ahead. I recommend that you purchase the new engine with full warranty, thinking you would be way ahead in the long run.

geobee

Threads
Hi there, thanks for that. Thinking that way myself.

geobee

Threads
Hi all, after doing some homework on this one, decided to repair the engine as it appears to be a better built engine compared to a Chinese replacement.
Just a query on the Tecumseh, it was very difficult to start with the pull start, at times ripping the grip from the hand and leaving injury. I suspect that the compression release is not working properly. I know that in the Honda engines, if the valve rocker gap is too large, it will cause this issue, would that be the problem in the Tecumseh maybe? Also, I have been looking at Jack's Small Engines for my required spares for it, and they appear to stock most, and reasonably priced. I note that some other parts suppliers do not ship to Australia. Many thanks for the help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With the rope being jerked out of your hand, the first thing I would check is the condition of the flywheel key. Even if it is slightly sheared, it will cause a timing problem.

geobee

Threads
Thanks for that, yes, I did overlook that bit. Will order a new one with the other parts regardless. Regards. Geoff