Swisher ZT2454 Won't Start / Blows Fuse

chris.wyse

Threads
I have a Swisher ZT2454 mower. It isn't starting and the fuse blows when I turn the key to 'start' (maybe just 'on'). I can power the solenoid and hear it click. I measured continuity on the wiring and it all seems OK. I tested from the PTO switch and ignition switches, reviewing wiring diagram and making sure that the switches were working properly. I replaced the regulator, starter, and ignition switch. I have no idea what to try next...

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
PTO should be Off, check seat switch for replacement.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Okay let's determine when the fuse is actually blowing. Is it when the switch is first turn to run or is it when you turn to start?

Got to stop throwing parts at it and do some real real troubleshooting.If it is just to run then unplug the hour meter and the PTO switch and recheck.

I do suspect a short in the wiring but got to trace which circuit it is in first and then hand trace that circuit.

chris.wyse

Threads
Hi - thanks for responding. I checked the fuse today. It blows as soon as I move the switch to the ON position.

Regarding the parts, the ignition switch was a guess, since I didn't want to work on it... However, I then checked to the best of my ability the continuity of all the wiring, toggling all the switches and making sure that they were working right. At that point, I pulled out the regulator and tested it. I checked for resistance between the two yellow leads and there wasn't any continuity. I thought (maybe incorrectly) that meant that it was bad, so I ordered a new one. However, when I got the new regulator and tested it the same way, there was no continuity either. Therefore, I assumed I tested incorrectly, and decided I needed to check the starter. I planned on applying power and making sure it spun. Somewhat clueless, I unscrewed the bolts that hold the two ends of the casing together. There were three spring-loaded terminals that connected to shaft which came out when I disassembled it. I managed to get them back on, but I was pretty sure I broke it anyway. So I tested the starter after I put it together, and it didn't spin. So I ordered a new starter. So now you know my experience level...

Anyway, I have long suspected a short in the wiring, but I searched the wiring looking were it passes through a hole or anywhere it could be rubbing. Everything looks fine. I don't know how to properly test for a short, but I tried testing for continuity between various points and ground, but I didn't find any continuity.

As for unplugging the hour meter and PTO, are you asking me to unplug them just to see if the fuse blows? I didn't check anything with the hour meter. On the PTO I checked all the terminals to make sure it was switching properly and it seemed fine.

Thank you both for responding.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Okay since it blows when just turned. The only components in that circuit is the PTO (which if off is out). The hour meter, and the carburetor fuel solenoid. Also the wiring for the fuel solenoid can get pinched between the starter and crankcase thus causing a short. I kinda laying odds one of the last two being the problem. First try unplugging the carburetor solenoid and test for blowing fuse. Yes I understand fuse can be costly if purchased locally. You can use a test light in place of the fuse and if short present the bulb would light up. I would use something like a 1156 bulb and plug the two leads in as if it was the fuse.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Try unplugging the regulator.

chris.wyse

Threads
Okay since it blows when just turned. The only components in that circuit is the PTO (which if off is out). The hour meter, and the carburetor fuel solenoid. Also the wiring for the fuel solenoid can get pinched between the starter and crankcase thus causing a short. I kinda laying odds one of the last two being the problem. First try unplugging the carburetor solenoid and test for blowing fuse. Yes I understand fuse can be costly if purchased locally. You can use a test light in place of the fuse and if short present the bulb would light up. I would use something like a 1156 bulb and plug the two leads in as if it was the fuse.
I unplugged the solenoid on the carburetor. Fuse still blows.
Unplugged the PTO switch. Fuse still blows.
Unplugged the hour meter. Fuse still blows, but I noticed that it didn't blow when I turned the switch to ON. However, when I turned the switch back to OFF, the fuse blew.
Ordered more fuses...