Swisher 44” Finish Cut grass clippings accumulation issue

Tdj2591

Threads
  • / Swisher 44” Finish Cut grass clippings accumulation issue
I pull my Swisher 44” Finish Cut mower model FCE11544BS behind an ATV about 6-8 times a year to mow my one-acre lake lot (it’s a 2 hr drive each way). The weeds are sometimes about a foot to knee high tall when I mow. Despite weather stripping under the access panels and sealing all holes and openings with dense foam, the box area under the motor where the pulleys and belt are fills with grass clippings every time I mow. I removed about 1/2 of a Walmart bag of clippings yesterday. Clippings range from small to over 1” long. The grass chute is the entire rear of the mower and it does a good job of slinging clippings out the rear.

There are no holes, gaps or openings thru the bottom of the deck other than a single 3/8” hole (which I will cover). I have closely inspected everything and cannot find any gaps or openings that are not sealed. The inspection covers are tight. This puzzles and frustrates me. If I don’t take the covers off and vacuum out the clippings after each use they cause rust.

Any ideas where the clippings could be entering the box and how I can prevent it? I emailed Swished but have received no response.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
where does the engine get its cooling air? Are clipping flying around wherever the air intake is?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looking at the parts lists and schematics, it’s just the nature of your mower. Just take the cover off and blow it out after each use.

fixit1ddh

Threads
We have one of them 44 inch pull behind mowers from back in the 90's. I just leave the covers off and use a blower to blow it out. Helps with the rust problem with covers off. Has not gotten any worse.