Attachments Suspension for Sears 1976 ST10

snakejeep

Forum Newbie
Threads
Haven't posted on here in a while, but need some input on shocks and leaf springs for a vintage Sears ST10 lawn tractor. I'm going to build a custom make over of this little mower. Here's what is planned: 18" leaf springs for the rear trans axle, (removing the bolts that hold the tranny to the frame and plasma cutting 2-3" curvature on each side of the frame to allow axle movement. (2) fabricating shock mounts to the frame and axle supports. (3) cutting an extra 1/2" into the front frame lip to allow 2" up-down movement of the pivoting front axle. (4) fabricating shock mounts to the frame and the pivoting front axle. My question concerns the shocks I found that are short enough and with 2" piston travel. The shocks I chose are used on a Arctic Cat snowmobile, part# 04-250. Anyone have an idea if these shocks would be soft enough to dampen the ride over rough ground, or would they be too stiff for the weight( guessing around 350-400lb for the tractor. If the springs are too stiff for the mower, I can experiment by removing springs from the 3 leaf unit. I forgot to mention I've already replaced the 10HP Tecumseh with a new GX620 v-twin Honda engine. The gas tank and rear fenders will be from a Sears SS16 that had the tank in the rear and fenders indented for the larger plastic tank. Plan to also use the flip seat brackets from the SS16 along with a new shock-spring loaded seat. Just need some input if the shocks I've chosen would be suited for the weight of the machine. Thanks for any input.

gfp55

Threads
This sounds like a cool custom build. I don't know the answer about the shocks. I'm guessing angle of shock on the snowmobile and weight, how much force is put on the shock at what angle. Can you find out what the shocks are rated for? how much does the snowmobile weigh? Do you have to use the shocks from a snowmobile? Did you get the shocks yet and are they new. I have thought of putting shocks on a garden tractor before, but I thought of using GM engine torque damper which is nothing more then a small shock absorber. I hope you do this because seeing you build it would be cool. Keep us updated.

snakejeep

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks gfp55 for the ideas. No, I haven't bought the shocks yet. I hadn't thought of contacting the site that had the shocks to see if they knew how much weight the shock are rated for. I will check out that engine dampening shock also, that's another idea I hadn't thought of. I will post some info and pictures as I move forward with the project. The Honda 20 HP engine was compact enough to fit the frame, but it was necessary to cut the battery tray holder out, making it necessary to move the gas tank to the rear. Because the engine had a tapered shaft, I had to have a custom 3 groove pulley made to duplicate the size and diameter of the original pulley. From where I'm at right now, the pulley aligns up with the clutch and tranny pulleys within 1/4" in vertical and perfect on horizontal. Just need to use 1/4" shims to raise the pulley up to the exact height the original one was. I did have to scoot the engine back about an inch so it would not overlap the front of the frame. I'll probably will need to use a 1" shorter belt though. The first thing I'll complete is getting the engine to properly fit the frame and match the pulley positions. Then bolt the engine in, install the proper length belt and give her a trial run, checking to see if the clutch engages and disengages correctly. After that, it's on to the suspension for measurements and frabrication. After that, I'll disassemble everything and try to replace as much as possible with new or fabricated parts. Then spray paint everything and reassemble. Thanks for your interest.

gfp55

Threads
Thanks gfp55 for the ideas. No, I haven't bought the shocks yet. I hadn't thought of contacting the site that had the shocks to see if they knew how much weight the shock are rated for. I will check out that engine dampening shock also, that's another idea I hadn't thought of. I will post some info and pictures as I move forward with the project. The Honda 20 HP engine was compact enough to fit the frame, but it was necessary to cut the battery tray holder out, making it necessary to move the gas tank to the rear. Because the engine had a tapered shaft, I had to have a custom 3 groove pulley made to duplicate the size and diameter of the original pulley. From where I'm at right now, the pulley aligns up with the clutch and tranny pulleys within 1/4" in vertical and perfect on horizontal. Just need to use 1/4" shims to raise the pulley up to the exact height the original one was. I did have to scoot the engine back about an inch so it would not overlap the front of the frame. I'll probably will need to use a 1" shorter belt though. The first thing I'll complete is getting the engine to properly fit the frame and match the pulley positions. Then bolt the engine in, install the proper length belt and give her a trial run, checking to see if the clutch engages and disengages correctly. After that, it's on to the suspension for measurements and frabrication. After that, I'll disassemble everything and try to replace as much as possible with new or fabricated parts. Then spray paint everything and reassemble. Thanks for your interest.
Sounds like you got some cool ideas, I would like to see it. Hopefully you will have more time this winter, if not you keep plugging away at it. Keep us updated OK. Best regards; gfp55