Super LT1554 D54" Deck height adjusting questions

GeriatricGinger

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Super LT1554 D54" Deck height adjusting questions
Good morning!
I've read through the manual, but this seems to have been an issue with the last 3 mowers I've owned (old Huskee 54", Husqvarna YTH-2448, and this Super LT1554) where if I try to lower the deck any lower than the highest setting, it wants to scalp the grass.
With this 1554, I've replaced the deck wheels, blades, belts, greased spindles, replaced hydro drive belt, deck belt, new front/rear tires, changed Hydro fluid, etc. I bought it for $200 with a bad Kohler 27hp. Yanked it, and stuck a 25hp B&S that came with it. Runs like a champ..
The deck wheels are in the lowest hole-set, making the deck ride at its highest possible setting when sat on the lowest selector setting. Problem is, I cannot mow with any lower than a level of 6, or else it scalps/cuts the grass very, very short; oddly, the previous 2 mowers did this, as well).
I can get pictures, if you'd like. But if I R&R the deck, putting the belt on the pulley, then sliding the deck backward to lock the front mount, the deck is really hard to line up with the lifting bars. I have to really pull the deck backward and lift it a little to get the spring pins to line up. I'm guessing maybe the front U-mount make need extended some? Also, the belt is quite loose with the deck all the way up, but gets fairly snug when I lower the deck. Which is another issue I see with mowing in Setting 6, is that the belt tends to slip a bit on the crank pulley..
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
/GG

Threads
1) send pics of the lifting bars. I'll look to see if something is wrong.
2) It's normal to be difficult to line up the pins to reattach the deck. Lifting and pulling the deck backwards is the correct procedure.
3) The belt is supposed to be loose when the blades are not engaged.
4) The front U-bolt deck hanger controls the front deck height. If it's extended too far, the front of the deck will drop and lower the cutting height. That may be part of your problem.
5) Some mowers are just poorly engineered in regards to cutting height. The maximum cutting height is sometimes way too low, in my opinion.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I suspect it is a combination of wear in the front axle causing it to set lower in the frame than when new. The deck lift cables are stretched or off their rollers, wear in the lift linkages and in some cases over time the frame will actually sag all causing the deck to set lower than when new. I have even seen the hangers on the deck actually crack where they are welded to the deck allowing the deck to set further forward than what is normal..