Suddenly no start, no click, nothing...

chouseal

Forum Newbie
Threads
My son was mowing with our Husqvarna YTH20K46 which has been running perfectly. No issues whatsoever, starting or running. He had just started mowing and realized he had left the mulching cover on. He disengaged the blades, shut off the mower, removed the mulching cover and went to restart. Nothing. No click, no display in the hour meter, no nothing. The battery is not too old and checks out at 12.7v—and again, nothing has been acting strangely, not difficult to start or run at all. I confirmed that same voltage coming in to the solenoid. My gut says there's a safety switch or mechanism somewhere that thinks the blades are still engaged, or some other clearly electrical problem going on. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If you are not even getting the fuel solenoid clicking then look for the main fuse or bad battery connection. IF you have a test light or voltmeter check voltage at the ignition's switch terminal B and A1 when the switch is in the run position.
If you have voltage on B and not on A1 (with the switch in run position) then the ignition switch is bad.

Doug you surprise me considering you have been working lawn mowers for awhile. You should know how read an electrical schematic. Anyways the only things switch-wise that controls cranking is the ignition, brake, PTO, and starter solenoid. Now the brake, PTO, seat, reverse, and the ignition switch control the magneto.

chouseal

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, guys. It was the main fuse. I feel silly for not thinking to check that earlier. I didn't see any obvious wire shorts or other problems, and a new fuse got it running immediately, so here's hoping it was just an old, weak one.

geronimo72

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, guys. It was the main fuse. I feel silly for not thinking to check that earlier. I didn't see any obvious wire shorts or other problems, and a new fuse got it running immediately, so here's hoping it was just an old, weak one.
Just for info sake, I had a 20amp fuse problem. YTH2448, all of a sudden would not start. Checked fuse and it was good but, too small in width. Vibration would cause it to not make proper connection. Turns out that is was to narrow for it's location. There are two sizes of 20amp fuses. I removed the smaller one and installed the wider one and wallah, mower started and ran fine.