Subaru EH65

bbirder

Forum Newbie
Threads
Anyone with experience w/ these twins? I thinkI have governor problem,

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Describe the issue in detail and I am sure somebody will figure it out. Lost of speed control causing over speeding could be a governor issue. Most other things that people think are governor issues are a dirty carb issue.

bbirder

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies. I'll get the numbers by this afternoon. Engine has perhaps 200 hrs in UTV with no hr meter. New carb installed. Starts and runs well except engine wants to run away, Gov adjusted as per book. Temp fix to operate around the house is a spring I installed pulling gov lever back towards idle when accelerator is released. If gov gear came apart would it run like this. I get no metal with magnet thru dipstick hole. I hate to have to pull engine and open up for nothing. This problem should be common to most v-twin engines no matter the make I would think.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First mistake, you are assuming all operating systems are the same. Wrong!!!??? NEVER assume anything. From experience I have found that making any assumptions when troubleshooting will get me into trouble and delay progress. Things must be tested and tested again, before knowing if it is working properly. Second, installing any old spring in a governor system will only got you in trouble. Governor springs are highly sensitive and you must use an OEM spring, unless you are an experience mechanic in a last resort situation.
Edit:
I should have added, Subaru engines are definitely different than most other engines.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If the governor is adjusted as by the book and still wants to run away, then the governor gear is broken. And you will not find pieces of it with a magnet down the dipstick. The metal pieces of the governor will not be small grit type stuff. It will be pieces about 1/2 inch long and the rest will be plastic. The large chucks can get into some area that could cause major engine damage.

bbirder

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the governor is adjusted as by the book and still wants to run away, then the governor gear is broken. And you will not find pieces of it with a magnet down the dipstick. The metal pieces of the governor will not be small grit type stuff. It will be pieces about 1/2 inch long and the rest will be plastic. The large chucks can get into some area that could cause major engine damage.
Thanks for waking me up. I know that could cause me problems but I turned a blind eye wanting to use it. I'm shutting it down today before I need a cam or crank to repair. If that should happen it becomes a parts engine. I thought of changing engines but was wondering if I replace a 23hp engine with a 13 hp single cyl. The cart is way overpowered for my needs. They sell a similar model with that 13 hp in it and it would be the power I need.

bbirder

Forum Newbie
Threads
model is EH65 ODC71689914. Parts weren't easy to find but I got them ordered. i'll wait for them to arrive before I pull the engine.
When you post back include ALL engine numbers.