Stumped

FerrisPC61

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an old (1996)ish Ferris 61” front deck tricycle mower and been struggling with some weird issue where the blades will tap each other about every 6-7 seconds. I am also noticing that the blades won’t stay in time with each other. It has a OEM belt and original pulleys. The blades are new and are the loudest when they hit. I can put older blades and will still contact but not as bad since they’re old. I’ve tensioned the belt to the point where I broke the belt trying to keep from happening. No luck. I’m truly stumped as I can’t figured out why they hit occasionally. Spindles do not appear to be bent and are tight on the deck. Pulleys also look fine. I did replace the center spindle last year but the problem still exists after the repair.

thanks,

M

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Make sure the spindles are tight bearing otherwise very side to side play. Also check your blade diagonal length is 21 inches and that this is centered. I have seen a few blade over the year to be off centered. THe offending blade will also have tell tell impact marks on the tips if they are hitting each other.

Mower King

Threads
I have an old (1996)ish Ferris 61” front deck tricycle mower and been struggling with some weird issue where the blades will tap each other about every 6-7 seconds. I am also noticing that the blades won’t stay in time with each other. It has a OEM belt and original pulleys. The blades are new and are the loudest when they hit. I can put older blades and will still contact but not as bad since they’re old. I’ve tensioned the belt to the point where I broke the belt trying to keep from happening. No luck. I’m truly stumped as I can’t figured out why they hit occasionally. Spindles do not appear to be bent and are tight on the deck. Pulleys also look fine. I did replace the center spindle last year but the problem still exists after the repair.

thanks,

M
I'm not saying your blades are not hitting each other, that can happen. The blades can also hit the edge of the deck or the deck baffles if they are bent, making about the same sound. Take the deck belt off, spin each blade by hand.....you should see where and what is hitting / making contact, the blade hitting, blade or blade hitting, the deck!

Last edited: