string trimmer or light brush cutter purchase recommendations

discord

Threads
  • / string trimmer or light brush cutter purchase recommendations
Half acre lot homeowner wants to buy something to trim the weeds / cut the grass / remove blackberry bushes and maybe even small tree branches.

I had a sthil fs55rc. I think it worked fairly well but finally had some vibration, starting issues, then pulled off the handle. Started replacing the pull string and the spring popped out and not sure I'll get it back together and functioning well again anytime soon. Had been using the Renegade blade last year and was impressed removing blackberry bushes. However it was brutal getting near them. Not sure there's anything that could have helped.

Regardless looking for equipment recommendations. Sthil is common around me and known to be high quality. I think husqvarna has a similar reputation. I was actually looking at the budget "monster" trimmers on ebay, box stores. 52cc motors and bike handles for $120-$160. But I assume that they'd fall apart quickly and then aren't worthwhile. Only finding a few overpriced options used in the local market. Then looking for recommendations on new equipment. I think I can purchase another similar sthil locally for around $200 but I do think it might be nice to have more power. Other brands? Does any product stick out in the budget realm? Any innovation in string trimming and brush cutting?

Last edited:

discord

Threads
  • / string trimmer or light brush cutter purchase recommendations
Looking at consumer reports they reccomended the sthil fs 56-ce. I did look locally and someone is listing a fs 91 r for 240$ with supposedly light use. The fs 56-ce retails for 240$ new. The 91r is a professional unit vs the 56-ce, a homeowner unit. Does anyone know what additional features the professional unit (retail at $350) offers compared to the fs 56-ce?

Finally I was curious if I wanted just grass and tall weeds is there anything I can purchase that's worthwhile up to $130? It looks like everything worthwhile retails around $200 +

Last edited: