Stihl FS 90 R sound.

JakeBrake

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bought a new FS 90 R trimmer yesterday. It works fine, but the sound takes some getting used to. My dealer explained that it has a 4-stroke engine that sounds different from a 2-stroke engine. Still have to mix oil with the gas.

it sounds to me like a chainsaw with a chain that is on too tight.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Bought a new FS 90 R trimmer yesterday. It works fine, but the sound takes some getting used to. My dealer explained that it has a 4-stroke engine that sounds different from a 2-stroke engine. Still have to mix oil with the gas.

it sounds to me like a chainsaw with a chain that is on too tight.

Yeah they sound some different, I think even a little less noise. Thing is once you get used to the sound of the 4 mix unit you'll never want to use a 2 stroke unit again.

Bootsy

Threads
Hi, i have one of those, bought it new and the engine sounded like it was missfiring at any revs, took it back to dealer and he said thats what the 4 mix engines sound like, he got another new one out and started it up and it sounded the same. To me they sound a bit like a engine that the timing is off a bit but that according to the dealer is how they are.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'd rather listen to the 4 mix than those screaming two strokes. I was reminded yesterday how nice the 4 mix sound was when I fired up that two stroke edger. Another thing about the 4 mix is I think the client likes the idea of how they sound also.

Bomba

Threads
I love the sound of my FS 110 R. For a trimmer it sounds powerful, and it is.

thse

Threads
That misfire sound is the rev limiter built into the coil.

Bootsy

Threads
Before i adjusted the valves it sounded like it was missfiring even when it was just ticking over, it did it all the time. After adjusting the valves it only sounds like its missfiring at full throttle. I am happy with that, i am also very happy with the machine, louds of power, starts within a couple of pulls on first start after storing it for the winter, starts first pull after that, i love it. If i use it with the carbon extention and the hedge trimmer i have to put it down after a hour to give my arms a rest for a little while, dont no how you people use them all day long, you must be supermen or i am just getting old!