Export thread

Stihl FS-55R

robbiecox6

robbiecox6

I have a stihl fs-55 string trimmer,, it's about 4 years old, and I have had nothing but carb. troubles since it was new. I have replace carb. twice. once again it's acting up. it idles fine, but once you squeeze trigger to go wide up, it dies down, you have to keep squeeze trigger real fast too keep it running. do I need another carb.

EngineMan

EngineMan

It could be a vacuum leak, mixing screws are out if there is any lots of carbs don't have them now, or just a dirty carb, take it apart clean it well and refit a new carb kit, or just replace the carb.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

Have u tooken or cleaned the spark arrester screen?

EngineMan

EngineMan

Would it be that from new, more likely be on the fuel side.

robbiecox6

robbiecox6

Yes, I check the spark arrester,it's clean.

Fish

Fish

Turn out your mixture screws, you may have to pop off the plastic limiters.

Nwatson99

Nwatson99

Did you replace the carb or did a Stihl dealership do it?

robbiecox6

robbiecox6

Did you replace the carb or did a Stihl dealership do it?

I did why?

Nwatson99

Nwatson99

I did why?

You have no warranty on it then, even though your weed-eater is/was out of warranty, if the dealership would have replaced the carb, your carb would have carried a 1 year warranty on it.

Do you use the Stihl Ultra mix and good gas in it?

EngineMan

EngineMan

You have no warranty on it then, even though your weed-eater is/was out of warranty, if the dealership would have replaced the carb, your carb would have carried a 1 year warranty on it.

Do you use the Stihl Ultra mix and good gas in it?

Read the post, its four years old.

Nwatson99

Nwatson99

Read the post, its four years old.

I did read his post, maybe you should read some more yourself and put just a tad more thought into it, if that man had Stihl replace his carb June 1 of 2013, then that carb would be under warranty right now and he could take it back to his dealer for carb repairs not on his dime.

EngineMan

EngineMan

I did read his post, maybe you should read some more yourself and put just a tad more thought into it, if that man had Stihl replace his carb June 1 of 2013, then that carb would be under warranty right now and he could take it back to his dealer for carb repairs not on his dime.

We are talking about now, and not then.

Nwatson99

Nwatson99

We are talking about, and not then.

Wow that is why I asked the man the question I did, I understand after his response where he did it himself no warranty.
Then I ask about gas and mix, then you chime in telling me to read his post about the age of the unit.

Anyway robbiecox6 take it to the Stihl dealer and have it fixed, that way if it acts up again within a year it is on them.

Fish

Fish

When folks bring in a trimmer that has sat all winter, I usually try dumping out all of the fuel, pumping the primer bulb to get rid of that crap too, then refilling with fresh fuel, back out the mixture screws an extra turn or so, fire it up and let it run real rich for a bit, dissolve all of that scummy varnish, then readjust. Half of the time that is all you need to do.

EngineMan

EngineMan

When folks bring in a trimmer that has sat all winter, I usually try dumping out all of the fuel, pumping the primer bulb to get rid of that crap too, then refilling with fresh fuel, back out the mixture screws an extra turn or so, fire it up and let it run real rich for a bit, dissolve all of that scummy varnish, then readjust. Half of the time that is all you need to do.

At last, someone with commonsense..!

robbiecox6

robbiecox6

At last, someone with commonsense..!

Thank You all for your inputs, I bought the carb. last year an put it on my self.

S

Streamlight

Make sure you got the right replacement carburetor, the newest carburetor for that model is part no. 4140 120 0169 and has plastic type hose fittings, the older carburetors had metal or some kind of alloy hose fittings and they were clogging up the purge base under the primer bulb. Anyway the factory settings for the needles are H is 3/4 turn out from seat and L is 1-1/2 turns out from seat.

Attachments