Stihl FS 38 Trimmer

GasDad85

Forum Newbie
Threads
The drive cable literally fell out of the shaft on my Stihl FS38 Weed Trimmer yesterday. Not sure what caused the problem, but I removed the engine housing to access the clutch and see if there was a problem with the drive cable being held into the clutch. I was surprised to see that there wasn't a set screw or something to hold the drive cable into the clutch. The bearing house that the drive cable connects to, then the trimmer head, is loose (even after I tighten the set screw. Any ideas on how to fix it ?

(See photos attached in link minus clutch)

https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/media/pic1before-jpg.46129/

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You would need to replace the drive shaft tube assembly. Are you in the US or are you in CDN/AUS? Two different drive shaft tubes one for the US and the other for CDN/AUS.

Once the crimp in the tube stretched it is nearly impossible to re-crimp it.

GasDad85

Forum Newbie
Threads
I live in the US. I read that somewhere I just didn't want to have to pay for the whole assembly. Any suggestions on where to order one from ?

You would need to replace the drive shaft tube assembly. Are you in the US or are you in CDN/AUS? Two different drive shaft tubes one for the US and the other for CDN/AUS.

Once the crimp in the tube stretched it is nearly impossible to re-crimp it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well according to the IPL Stihl only sell the complete assembly with you need the tube.

Then you need PN 4140 710 1700 which includes items 3, 5, 18, 19. These are purchase through your local Stihl dealer. Now it will be over $65 as my price list is fairly old and tariffs has upped the prices.
FS38 DRV TUBE.JPG