Stihl BG55 won't start

Kennykenny

Threads
I have a Stihl BG55 blower that won't start. The blower was running and then died as I let off the throttle. I made adjustments to the carburetor adjustment screw closest to the air filter and now the unit will not start at all. I let the blower set a bit and tried again without any change in result.

Suggestions as to how to reset the adjustment screws to start again? Thanks.

Kennykenny

Threads
I got it running but to follow up with another question, the blower also has some sort of liquid(gas mixture?) that oozes out of the area around the spark arrestor. At times find a bit of the mixture on the ground in the spark arrestor area after the blower is done being used and sitting. Normal? What might it be if there is a problem?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Put the screws back to OEM config. Shouldn't have messed with them.

Oil coming out of the muffkin, to me, sounds like someone is using way too much oil1. Or one of those magic wondrous ultra EXTREME 100:1 oils at a regular 50:1 rate. Amsoil and the one that I use, forgot the name, are 100:1 rated. That oil is super thick compared to a 50:1 oil. Or the carb might be passing excess fuel???

I would put new hoses on the carb, clean the carb out, flush the tank out with gas only, clean the plug, pour in fresh 50:1 oil and gas. See what you got then. Might also clean or what I do, remove the muffkin spark arrester entirely.

slomo

Kennykenny

Threads
Put the screws back to OEM config. Shouldn't have messed with them.

Oil coming out of the muffkin, to me, sounds like someone is using way too much oil1. Or one of those magic wondrous ultra EXTREME 100:1 oils at a regular 50:1 rate. Amsoil and the one that I use, forgot the name, are 100:1 rated. That oil is super thick compared to a 50:1 oil. Or the carb might be passing excess fuel???

I would put new hoses on the carb, clean the carb out, flush the tank out with gas only, clean the plug, pour in fresh 50:1 oil and gas. See what you got then. Might also clean or what I do, remove the muffkin spark arrester entirely.

slomo
I have been using stihl 2.6 oz bottles of of 2 cycle oil into 1 gallon of fresh non ethanol gas every time.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
A clean muffkin is important....
But I thought we were talking about a Stihl blower?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take the air filter off, and the spark arrester out.
Here are a couple snips from the manual.

user1.PNGuser2.PNG

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Then when you get it running again, put the air filter back on while running. See what happens. Then wash the filter in hot soapy dishwater and dry.

Kennykenny

Threads
As mentioned in my earlier reply, I did get the unit started finally. I had a follow-up question:

the blower also has some sort of liquid(gas mixture?) that oozes out of the area around the spark arrestor. At times find a bit of the mixture on the ground in the spark arrestor area after the blower is done being used and sitting. Normal? What might it be if there is a problem?

Thanks for all of the input.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
As mentioned in my earlier reply, I did get the unit started finally. I had a follow-up question:

the blower also has some sort of liquid(gas mixture?) that oozes out of the area around the spark arrestor. At times find a bit of the mixture on the ground in the spark arrestor area after the blower is done being used and sitting. Normal? What might it be if there is a problem?

Thanks for all of the input.
Usually a dirty airfilter.