Stihl 028AV ( needs repairs), vs. new Stihl purchase

palicea

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Folks. I have an older 028 AV chainsaw with electronic ignition. It needs a rebuild due to gas getting into the muffler when I try starting it. I was told that means it is a cylinder/piston/ring issue??..I would like to know if anyone here has purchased an aftermarket cylinder/piston kit, and if so, which is a better brand. Also, I am weighing the issue as to whether I should just buy a new Stihl chainsaw....what is comparable to the old 028? I have been using a MS210C and it does not have the power that I need. Any advice is welcome:) Thanks.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Naw, you likely just need to go through the carb correctly, but before that, pull the muffler and look directly at the piston. If
it looks good, then a full carb rebuild, new fuel line and filter would bring this great saw back into service for another 20 + years.

palicea

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the quick reply. I do not understand what the carb issue would be?? When I was trying to pull start the saw, gas was actually collecting in the muffler..What am i missing...(I really hope it is that simple)..Thanks again.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If gas is collecting in the muffler, then that is most likely the problem.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take the rest of the muffler off and look at the piston, that will tell you quick which is your next step!!

palicea

Forum Newbie
Threads
What do i look for regarding the piston?