Sticky valves

nodlenor

Threads
What is with the valves sticking on my Kawasaki. I have a GT 235 John Deere and have had a valve stick four times now, three times this summer. I use Kawasaki oil and put sea foam in my fuel but nothing seems to help. Anyone got any suggestions?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just one valve or both? How do you know they are sticking? If they are sticking, my guess is either bent or worn valve stems or worn valve guide. Please post engine numbers.

nodlenor

Threads
Intake valve. The first time the head was pulled and had to be replaced because the valve pulled the guide out. The second time the head was pulled and the valve shut with very little effort. The third & fourth times the engine backfired and the valve shut on it’s own. I don’t know if it’s the same side or not yet. It is a 18 hp twin. I’ll post the engine number later.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What did you do each time to repair?

nodlenor

Threads
Engine number FH580VA11745. Code FH580V-AS04. It has approximately 850 hours on it if that helps.

Last edited:

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm late to the party, but did you ever pull the shrouds and clean out the cooling fins etc? I'm thinking overheating?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did they replace the head the first and/or second time? Did they replace the valve? Was it the same valve first and second time? Are you just guessing it is a valve problem the third and fourth time? Unless you give us a better picture of what is happening and what the shop did, we can’t give you a direction to go. I can think of a half dozen things could be causing a problem, but I’d look very foolish throwing them out there with the limited info you have supplied so far. Remember a technician uses their eyes, ears, and experience to solve problems. We are now relying on your eyes, ears and ability to give us good info to give you answers on how to proceed.

nodlenor

Threads
I'm late to the party, but did you ever pull the shrouds and clean out the cooling fins etc? I'm thinking overheating?
I thought about heat as a cause but I thought surely that would have been done when it was worked on earlier.