Sthil FS350 Brush cutter

philmountains

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I have a problem ,the cylinder and piston are highly scored on my FS350, and the only replacement parts are genuine Sthil which are way too expensive for the age of this machine, I was wondering if anyone has fit a FS 250 ( Chinese Ebay copies) cylinder to a FS350 as these are a fraction of the cost and I have used copy parts to other Stihl models and have had great results.
The main difference is that the smaller engines do not have a decompression valve is this a real issue ?
Thanks for any advise
Phil

Nwatson99

Threads
To consider installing non Stihl components on a Stihl would be an abomination!!!
Do the right thing, fix your Stihl correctly.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Many local repair shops are using aftermarket parts on top end makes, don't see why you should'nt.

philmountains

Forum Newbie
Threads
Many local repair shops are using aftermarket parts on top end makes, don't see why you should'nt.

Hi it,s simple I got a quote for a genuine cylinder and piston kit £288 ,compared with less than £50 for copy parts for a old machine there is absolutely no way it,s worth it.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
No one in they right mind would pay that, may has well go out and buy a new brush cutter...!

philmountains

Forum Newbie
Threads
No one in they right mind would pay that, may has well go out and buy a new brush cutter...!
Thank,s for you interest,that,s exactly what the shop said I was best to do,I,m going to give it a try with a FS250 cylinder kit, seems same casting minus decompression valve? should if needed and can identify the thread be able to drill and tap the cylinder head to fit a valve ,the kits are £35 on ebay, I have just about rebuilt the rest of the strimmer so it,s a damn shame about this problem ,but most part,s apart from the engine, are the same as the FS400/450 so I could use as a donner machine.
I,m not a great fan of the FS350, I had a FS400 before this model which was a fantastic powerful machine always reliable, but unfortunately had all my gear stolen from my donkey shed in Spain,a lesson learned there.

Nwatson99

Threads

That is exactly what I would do before sticking chinese junk in my Stihl.

philmountains

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is exactly what I would do before sticking chinese junk in my Stihl.

Hi Just thought I would update this thread, I managed to get a FS250 piston/cylinder kit for 」30 from Ebay ,overboard to 40mm so same capacity as FS400. Apart from the cylinder being minus the decompression valve tapping, a great deal as all working again and defiantly more power ,started 2nd pull.:thumbsup:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the update, just check the head bolts after a few hours use...:thumbsup: