Export thread

Stens going to a credit card only payment system.

I

ILENGINE

Just got a notification from Stens that they are going to a credit card only payment system starting December 11, 2023. so no more open account paid at the end of the month. Parts orders will be billed to your credit card at the time of purchase.

World is constantly changing, & lots ain't fer the better.

StarTech

StarTech

And credit cards is something I have been trying to get away from due problems with my MasterCard provider. It takes two weeks to get payments to the card processed when with ACH payments they are done in a couple days as is the PayPal transactions.

But even worst is Gardner switching over to a Microsoft based system that demands me to allow cookies which when you read the terms and conditions means I would be giving Microsoft unfetter to access my computer, my passwords, social media accounts, local area Wi-Fi networks, etc. I run NoScript and block all cookies for a reason I have been hacked several times before I did and nearly lost all my data at one time. I was lucky that time as I had just back-up the entire system the day before.

Now I got to buy a stand alone system just to be able to order parts from them as I can't allow Gardner nor Microsoft unfetter access to my systems as either needs to what I have on my business systems. Either that or find another distributor that not as a big pain to deal with. It would mean shutting the Wi-Fi and the Cat6 system everytime I access Gardner but if that what it takes I will do it. Laptops are cheap when compared losing all my data.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

And credit cards is something I have been trying to get away from due problems with my MasterCard provider. It takes two weeks to get payments to the card processed when with ACH payments they are done in a couple days as is the PayPal transactions.

But even worst is Gardner switching over to a Microsoft based system that demands me to allow cookies which when you read the terms and conditions means I would be giving Microsoft unfetter to access my computer, my passwords, social media accounts, local area Wi-Fi networks, etc. I run NoScript and block all cookies for a reason I have been hacked several times before I did and nearly lost all my data at one time. I was lucky that time as I had just back-up the entire system the day before.

Now I got to buy a stand alone system just to be able to order parts from them as I can't allow Gardner nor Microsoft unfetter access to my systems as either needs to what I have on my business systems. Either that or find another distributor that not as a big pain to deal with. It would mean shutting the Wi-Fi and the Cat6 system everytime I access Gardner but if that what it takes I will do it. Laptops are cheap when compared losing all my data.

I would think Stens will take debit cards as well as credit cards with this change. Stens was not at Equipment Expo in Louisville, KY like they have been before this year. Also, they never followed up in person as they said they would when I expressed interest in doing business early this year. Looks like things are tightening up at Stens, just like many other companies.

StarTech

StarTech

I won't have a debit card due to the policy of you are on the hook for fraud until they prove it wasn't you. I had a customer last that his wife got a debit and within 24hrs $4000 was remove from bank account and it took several months to get the money back. Somebody had scanned their card remotely at a shopping mall.

Upon my suggestion they now RFID blocking devices protecting the card when not in use.

I

ILENGINE

I would think Stens will take debit cards as well as credit cards with this change. Stens was not at Equipment Expo in Louisville, KY like they have been before this year. Also, they never followed up in person as they said they would when I expressed interest in doing business early this year. Looks like things are tightening up at Stens, just like many other companies.
Here is a paste of the email I received

Important Billing Update​

We want to express our sincere gratitude for your continued loyalty and partnership with Stens. As part of our commitment to improving our services, we're transitioning to a more secure credit card payment system, effective December 11, 2023. This change is aimed at simplifying transactions and ensuring a safer and more efficient payment process for you.
Here's what you can expect from this upgrade:
  1. Transition Date:
    • Starting December 11, 2023, all transactions will be processed through credit card payments. On your next order you will be asked to enter your credit card information.
  2. Accepted Credit Cards:
    • We will accept Mastercard, Visa, or American Express. Please verify and update your information via our website or by contacting Customer Service to avoid any service interruptions.
  3. Billing Process:
    • Invoices will no longer carry Net 30 terms. Instead, your credit card will be billed at the time of purchase for added convenience.
We understand that changes in payment methods may affect your financial planning. Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact our customer service team at 1-800-457-7444.

StarTech

StarTech

For their convenience.

Probably the next thing will be they start adding a convenience fee for using the credit cards. I got two distributors here that charges this fee and one took seven months to change me over to ACH payments; meanwhile, they lost seven months of sales to me during my busy time of the year to the other distributor which changed me over in less than 30 minutes.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I have always paid stens with a dedicated business credit card and I have auto payment of the statement balance of the card setup so I don't pay any interest on the card. I run all business transactions I can through the CC. My version of net30. I get a small amount of cash back too.

I

ILENGINE

I have always paid stens with a dedicated business credit card and I have auto payment of the statement balance of the card setup so I don't pay any interest on the card. I run all business transactions I can through the CC. My version of net30. I get a small amount of cash back too.
And their is currently a push in congress to end bonus points, cashback programs on CC sponsored and written by my own state senator Dick Durbin.

StarTech

StarTech

Boy that is something very rare, A congressman that actually tries to work. most of them seems to be waiting to the last minute to do anything.

Anyway my problem with the CC is not the card itself but the new owners of the CU. Previously everything worked very well. Now the new group just keep changing the ground rules every few months. It had cause a lot of problems with delayed card payments which had me holding orders up to two weeks because they didn't process the payment even though they the payment in hand. Now they are probably wonder where that nearly $4K in charges have gone. This last month balance was only $85.

Recently they want the password to my local CU account. I don't think so.

I

ILENGINE

Boy that is something very rare, A congressman that actually tries to work. most of them seems to be waiting to the last minute to do anything.

Anyway my problem with the CC is not the card itself but the new owners of the CU. Previously everything worked very well. Now the new group just keep changing the ground rules every few months. It had cause a lot of problems with delayed card payments which had me holding orders up to two weeks because they didn't process the payment even though they the payment in hand. Now they are probably wonder where that nearly $4K in charges have gone. This last month balance was only $85.

Recently they want the password to my local CU account. I don't think so.
The problem is he works for himself and if you disagree with him you get the explicit treatment. This guy has on more than one occasion sent letters to his constituents saying your opinion doesn't matter.

R

Rivets

My question is; will you be billed at time of purchase or when the order is sent out? Back orders could cost a lot of $$$, if billed at time of purchase.

I

ILENGINE

Good Questions Rivets. The email says at time of purchase but backorders could be tricky. Unless they will no longer allow backorders.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I just received some backordered spindle nuts from stens delivered by FedEx (???) and they were charged the day they shipped. They were on BO for couple months. No extra shipping fee added.

StarTech

StarTech

To note it is known that Stens has switched to FedEx as the shipper. From what I can find they are getting a better rate than they did from UPS.

Personally I have yet to received any notice from Stens on this new policy but I do currently have several items on back order too and do expect to be billed when they ship. One order is a replacement order for incorrect parts sent.

I NEVER use my debit card for anything but house bills.

Otherwise yer bank account & your monies are on the hook.....Only Credit cards that have no fault policies, Like Discover.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

I NEVER use my debit card for anything but house bills.

Otherwise yer bank account & your monies are on the hook.....Only Credit cards that have no fault policies, Like Discover.
You can easily reason that Stens will adjust prices accordingly to the approximate 3% bump to cover credit card processing. I see the points made on why to use a credit card vs debit card for security, however I do not own or use any credit cards by personal choice.

StarTech

StarTech

It is the same about my choice not to have a Debit or ATM card. It is a personal choice. Sorta like not having a cell phone due lack of coverage in my area. Why pay for something I can't use. What worst some government agencies demand you to give them a cell phone number. I use BR-549 in those cases and then they call the home phone and complain that the cell number is no good. I wonder why....Hee Haw.

And you have to have either a checking account, debit card, or credit card to business with some companies like Gray Bar (Nick named "The Gay Bar") here that won't accept cash. Same thing with Grainger. They don't don't even have a local bank account according the salesman. So I reckon US Federal Reverse Notes are no longer good.

In today's world you have to have either a Debit or Credit card to do business with some companies.

I see the points made on why to use a credit card vs debit card for security, however I do not own or use any credit cards by personal choice.
I like the cash back rewards, end of year, there 's a few beans sitting there..

old yooper

old yooper

Stens may be a good place to find parts, but they are not the only place.

StarTech

StarTech

That is something many big vendors don't seem to care about.

Basically most are just a poppy seed on a dish to them, easily replaced. I got one vendor right now that their people will not even reply to my emails asking for or quotes. So I just placed the orders with another that did.

Gardner installed a new online system and it is a mess, can't even login and the sales rep of no help. I wait until the new year to see if they get their fat rumps and do something. So far it done cost them nearly $2000 in the last week on my part but the other was more than happy to get the orders.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

That is true. For the guy running a small one man shop stens is convenient because you get flat rate no surprise shipping. You can setup a tax free account. You get a hard copy catalog as well as on-line and Fast shipping. I have looked into other vendors but I am too small for them to bother with.

I

ILENGINE

another concern would be, are other vendors going to go a credit card only system also How many vendors would it take before we would be maxing out our credit cards every month and would have to budget customers because we can't order repair parts when needed.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Just got a notification from Stens that they are going to a credit card only payment system starting December 11, 2023. so no more open account paid at the end of the month. Parts orders will be billed to your credit card at the time of purchase.
I do a lot of biz with them and immediately wrote my complaint and warning that I will be looking to source changes. I have been with Stens, Arrowhead, J&N, for a long time. Since
AH bought the others out, the changes have been ok till now. Hell, I was buying from Ariens before they sold out to Stens. This long time solid source making this change is very concerning and will effect us and them.

StarTech

StarTech

another concern would be, are other vendors going to go a credit card only system also How many vendors would it take before we would be maxing out our credit cards every month and would have to budget customers because we can't order repair parts when needed.
That was what was happening lately here until I switched my Amazon and PayPal over. The main is I am limited to $2000 max on the CC and the current CU is slow as Christmas applying payments. Taking up to two weeks and I was maxing out in one to two every month.

Now several of vendors are now on ACH payments so that eliminates the CC use issues. Just got make the local CU account has enough funds to make these ACH transfers.

I

ILENGINE

I do a lot of biz with them and immediately wrote my complaint and warning that I will be looking to source changes. I have been with Stens, Arrowhead, J&N, for a long time. Since
AH bought the others out, the changes have been ok till now. Hell, I was buying from Ariens before they sold out to Stens. This long time solid source making this change is very concerning and will effect us and them.
I have been with them for 25 years. At one point they were my primary parts supplier until I got more into the OEM side of things and orders were slow for a while. But since Oregon has basically dumped 1/4 of their catalog the last 3-4 years, been ordering more Stens to make up the difference.

StarTech

StarTech

And we got to remember trying to get a big companies to listen is like getting to something by Congress done in a timely way. It is impossible at most times.

yep.