Steering Issues

Threads
I have replaced all the steering components, from the column to the drag links and still the gears are slipping. Any help would be appreciated.

Model#: YTH22V46

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
That sector gear looks like it runs on a shoulder bolt with no bearing/bushing. Check that for wear that allows too much clearance in the tooth engagement.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

Page 3, three down from top is your IPL list for your tractor per your number 960450041. see pages 12 & 13 steering section. make sure sector & pinion gears are meshed together with no play. grease sector & pinion gears , metal against metal will wear sector & pinion gears out over a short period of time. metal shavings will appear if grease is not applied.

Last edited:

David88

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had issues on my cab cadet, very same issue..
I got a repair manual from reliable-store. I'll quote one of the various solutions posted there..
"First, set the front wheels and then the steering wheel to the 'forward' side position in order to check those 'drag links'.
Those drag links are in fact connected directly to the wheels from the steering gear.
If both or one of the wheels aren't straight, adjust the drag links from behind the front of the wheels. They very often have sharp bends, so if in case you see one or both of those links have a "curve" or are "bent", they're damaged and need to be replaced. "
there are many other alternative nd different solutons posted here, obviously the vehicle is diff, if this doesn't work u can simply get your manual there..

dcm1978

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looks like your steering plate is bent in the up direction, behind the gear. Bending it down would move the end of the steering column, and the gear, closer to the sector gear teeth.
If that's what the problem is, I would remove the sector gear first, before trying to bend anything.