Starter Spinning

LSU-Mike

Threads
I have a Scag mower with a FH580V Kawasaki engine. It appears that the gear on the starter shaft has come loose from the shaft. When energized the starter gear rises to engage the flywheel. The starter shaft spins at a high speed, but the gear doesn't move. Is this a DIY repairable situation or time for a replacement? The starter was replaced by a repair shop less than three years ago. This is the original engine on this 17 year old Scag (hour meter stopped years ago). I've seen starters online starting around $50. I know you typically "get what you pay for," but I wonder if this engine/mower is worth it. As you can see from the attached photo that there is oil leakage somewhere. I didn't realize it was this bad until I removed the flywheel cover. I add about one ounce of oil every few hours. A little white smoke sometimes on start up, but none after that. It runs and cuts perfectly, just some noise from one of the pulleys when the blades aren't engaged. I figure if I clean it up and repair or replace the starter maybe I can get a few more hours out of it, then sell it for a few bucks...before investing in a replacement.
Your thoughts will be appreciated.
Mike

Attachments

• KawasakiEngine.jpg
    KawasakiEngine.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 5

txmowman

Threads
You could try cleaning between the metal drive nut and the rubber friction washer on the bottom of the bendix. Lilkely caked up with the same oily debris that is covering the engine. This would cause it to slip. If not, may need to replace the starter. The oil leak may be the crankshaft seal or the breather cover gasket.

LSU-Mike

Threads
You could try cleaning between the metal drive nut and the rubber friction washer on the bottom of the bendix. Lilkely caked up with the same oily debris that is covering the engine. This would cause it to slip. If not, may need to replace the starter. The oil leak may be the crankshaft seal or the breather cover gasket.
Thanks for the quick reply. I've since removed the starter and somewhat cleaned around the areas you noted. I want to avoid possibly making the matter worse, so I haven't used any kind of cleaner. Do you have a recommendation? The metal drive nut rises only 1/4 to 3/8" when I apply voltage. I haven't reinstalled the starter to see if that's enough to engage the flywheel. It does spin with enough force that I can't stop it by holding a piece of wood against the drive nut.

Do you have a recommendation for a cleaner to clean the rest of the engine? I've scrapped and brushed off as much as possible. To further expose my ignorance regarding this topic, where would I find the breather cover? I found diagrams of this model Kawasaki, but mine doesn't seem to have the breather illustrated in those diagrams.
Thanks again

txmowman

Threads
For the starter drive, I just use carb or brake cleaner. For the rest of the engine, degreaser. The breather cover is the plate under the flywheel.

LSU-Mike

Threads
eFor the starter drive, I just use carb or brake cleaner. For the rest of the engine, degreaser. The breather cover is the plate under the flywheel.
Thanks for your suggestions txmowman. The rubber friction washer shows signs of significant wear where it fits the gear spines. Even after thorough cleaning there is no friction between the rubber washer and the metal "washer/collar" below it. That washer will rise when I turn it CW (looking at the shaft) but doesn't turn at all under power. I'm throwing in the towel and ordering a new one.

Now on to seeing if I can remove the flywheel and search for the oil leak.