starter problem

BK fixer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Lawnboy mower model 10796 with a honda engine with electric start. The starter didn't engage and the bendix wasn't working properly I've tried 4 new starters that when initially installed will start the engine with a few test starts but then will fail like the original. When removed from the engine but still hooked to the battery the bendix will not engage. I've checked the teeth on the flywheel, the engine starts with the pull rope with no binding or kick back. I am at my wits end as to why these starters fail.

100 td

Threads
Try the starters with jumper cables to your pickup or car that has a known powerful battery as yours may be failing under load. Check battery connections, solenoid and ground connection. Make sure the ring gear is square to the flywheel, no run out, all the way around. Check starters for correct number of teeth for your model engine.

Last edited:

Born2Mow

Threads
Fully agree with above. Further...
If 4 starters do the same thing, then we can safely assume that it is not the starter.

1) The battery itself is the next most likely item to fail. It's all about the electrical power inside the battery. BUT, is the battery failing to hold a charge (old age), OR simply not receiving the appropriate charge from the charging system ??

2) Then, are the cabling and terminals in good order to allow the MASSIVE current to flow from the battery to the starter motor ?? Any corroded battery terminals or terminal fasteners ? Any frayed cables ? Any cable terminals barely hanging on ? This investigation includes BOTH electrical cables, Positive and Negative, Feed and Return.

3) Then finally is the safety interlock system that allows the starter motor to safely actuate.

Take the work in that order and you'll find the issue.