SST18 Steering Problems

Spikeit

Threads
I just picked up an SST18 with a steering problem; it doesn't turn/steer at all. Not left, not right, neither going forward or backward. I've never worked on one of these and clueless as what activates when you turn the steering wheel. As a guess, something activates when you turn the steering wheel then that "something" activates the vacuum actuators (Bellows) which turns the front wheels. Am I wrong? If wrong please straighten me out because I dunno. If right, please explain the likely culprit and where it's located. All I've done is remove the seat pan/step boards and looked at the vacuum hoses. Going to pull a vacuum on it here shortly and see what I find.

JD_TAMO

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check the vacuum line and elbow at the engine. They were notorious for leaking vacuum at this spot. Also the front wheels are caster wheels only. All steering is controlled by the back wheels. If you turn the steering wheel while the machine is not moving forward, or moving slightly forward, the machine turns like a zero-turn mower. while you are driving at speed, it turns like a normal tractor. (after you fix the steering of course):biggrin: :beware they are Squirrelly until you get use to it.

Spikeit

Threads
Thanks Tamo. I found the problem two days ago and your idea was spot on! What I found; the throttle/choke cables run between the filter and block and lay across the top of the oil filter housing. I sat looking at things in general to see if something looked amiss when I spotted the plastic shielding on the cables was melted an inch or so each. A closer look and I found the hard plastic vacuum line had a hole melted through, another spot was so brittle that it separated when I raised it up and all three were laying together. Clearly the pieces against a hot filter housing carrying hot oil wasn't a good idea. The two cables were way too long so I suppose they ran them downward to come out correctly on the engine end. to work. I cut roughly 4" off each cable then re-routed both so they're good and as a temp fix I spliced the vacuum line with rubber hose and re-rerouted it too. This mower has sat outside for a couple of years now but other the stale gas, it started right up and ran great to load it. Ok, so I get fix/modify those things, sat o it, started right up and I took off. And your correct; it's VERY squirrely but this too shall pass. I rode it about 30' and it died, not to start again. Pushed it back to my shop and found the fuel pump was doa. A replacement should be here today and I'll give it another go. This SST is the only one I've seen and never worked on one so I had to read up on the theory of how it works but all in all it isn't too bad. I know SST's were only built only 3 yrs I believe which says something. Wasn't a good idea, maybe?! My in law bought it new and used it until 2 yrs ago and never had problem one out of it beyond routine issues. I certainly appreciate your post/idea and like I said, you were two days late BUT right on as to what to look for so kudos to you! Thx again and have a good one. If u were close by I'd buy you a beer or a coke! :thumbsup: