SST18 Briggs throttle spring position question

Rugb

Threads
Greetings
I’m putting the carb back on, after its been off a while, and have a question as to where the spring on the linkage from the governor to throttle shaft connects? Sometimes there is a hole in the throttle shaft, but don’t have a hole. Does it connect to the little clip that holds the rod in? I’m confused?
It’s a 350777-1159-e1 vertical shaft
Thanks
I was going to add photos, but said file is too large??

Rugb

Threads

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just take a step back and carefully read the instructions. It is fairly simple and a lot easier than doing a jigsaw puzzle. But is why I am still in business as most people give up too quickly on about everything as it not snap your fingers and it is done. I am going on 63 yrs old myself and my neighbor my machinist which is now 74 still can figure things out. Between both of us I have designed and he made custom tools for my operation. BTW he make parts for SpaceX from their drwings and some got holes so tiny that I can even see them when my naked eyes. So most things are possible with patience. It like me searching for image of throttle shaft very hard to find an actual image so I have to go by the IPL drawings.

Now about your spring connection question if it has the clip circled in red in the following image then yes the spring connects to the clip.
1639053993936.png

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
With the pic on your screen, just click on the "snipping tool" and take a quick screenshot.toolsnip.JPG

Rugb

Threads
Just take a step back and carefully read the instructions. It is fairly simple and a lot easier than doing a jigsaw puzzle. But is why I am still in business as most people give up too quickly on about everything as it not snap your fingers and it is done. I am going on 63 yrs old myself and my neighbor my machinist which is now 74 still can figure things out. Between both of us I have designed and he made custom tools for my operation. BTW he make parts for SpaceX from their drwings and some got holes so tiny that I can even see them when my naked eyes. So most things are possible with patience. It like me searching for image of throttle shaft very hard to find an actual image so I have to go by the IPL drawings.

Now about your spring connection question if it has the clip circled in red in the following image then yes the spring connects to the clip.
View attachment 59094

View attachment 59094

View attachment 59094

View attachment 59094

View attachment 59094

View attachment 59094
Thanks for your help. Putting it together yesterday after being apart for several weeks, I got confused. Mostly because I was looking for a small hole in the throttle shaft near the clip. This was how the older springs connected to take up all the play in the rod between the governor arm and the throttle shaft. Now they have made it where it only takes up all the play on the lower end. And there could be a wee bit of play in the clip at the throttle end. Yes, I have the clip like your picture shows, I’ll connect it there and it will work fine.
Thanks again

View attachment 59094
Thanks for your help! Mine does have the clip and that is the only place the spring can go. I was reasoning why they put the spring on the link, picturing the older ones that they had the real lightweight spring which probably took up the play/wear in the holes and rod linkage for smoother running? This one don’t have the hole in the throttle shaft to hook the spring. If that is their reasoning for the spring, it’s only doing its purpose on the lower end. Mine has a little play/wear in the grommet at the clip, so there is a tiny bit of play between the rod and the throttle shaft.
Be good to have a neighbor friend like you do. Sometimes I try to do all that myself with my mechanic/machinist shop, but always good to have a forum to contact others and connect on thoughts and questions
Thanks again

taterpicker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings
I’m putting the carb back on, after its been off a while, and have a question as to where the spring on the linkage from the governor to throttle shaft connects? Sometimes there is a hole in the throttle shaft, but don’t have a hole. Does it connect to the little clip that holds the rod in? I’m confused?
It’s a 350777-1159-e1 vertical shaft
Thanks
I was going to add photos, but said file is too large??
SST18 one of the best JD ever made.