SS 3225 Wont start

Valddlav

Forum Newbie
Threads
I ran the engine low on oil and the connecting rod snapped and broke the crankcase.

Rebuilt the engine with new parts and when I was trying to get it started, I realized that the starter was also damaged as it was frozen.

I took the starter apart and saw one of the 4 magnets in the side of the housing was shattered. I removed the loose pieces, which were the majority of that magnet.
I tried to put the brushes back in the bottom but I was only able to put them back without the springs. I put it back together tested it and it was spinning.

Tried starting the engine finally and it did not start. Checked the compression and only got 30 psi. Tried leak down test and only lost 5 psi from 90 supply.

Tried compression test with exhaust valve rocker arms off. Got 90 psi but starter was only able to turn engine over once.

Put exhaust rocker arms back, checked valve timing, and after intake valve closes and piston is moving up from TDB, the exhaust valves opens a bit due to the compression release I’m thinking. Piston is almost halfway or more up before the exhaust valve closes. I think that’s why I’m only getting 30 psi compression.

My theory is that the starter is weak and if it were cranking faster it could build more compression, enough to start the engine.

Or do I have an issue with the compression release staying open too long?

Valve clearance I adjusted at TDC per service manual.

Appreciate the help!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Place the starter. You need all four magnets for the starter to work. At that time you can start to troubleshoot your other problems.

Valddlav

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you! I ordered it this morning, should have it within a few days and I’ll report back once I crank the engine with it.