Export thread

Squeeks

J

James D West

Brand new ztr 54" Cub Cadet. Runs great but squeaks something awful. I keep thinking a bird has gotten caught up in it
Any special points I should grease or oil? Thanks

all of them, should be described in owners manual

E

evh

I would try and do some more investigation and narrow down where the squeak is coming from. Blades on or off? Machine moving or stationary.

J

James D West

I would try and do some more investigation and narrow down where the squeak is coming from. Blades on or off? Machine moving or stationary.
Blades on and mowing. Seems mostly in front. 84 yo and can't do much detective work. Mower less than 2 weeks old.

E

evh

Based on your response I would confirm:

- Tractor running and driving forward with blades off - No Squeak - Correct?
- Tractor running and not moving with blades on - Squeak?
- Tractor running and moving forward with blades on - Squeak?

It is beginning to sound like your deck.
- If you bought it at a big box store, I would try and do some further diagnosis and see if you can figure out where/what it is.
- If you bought it from a dealer I could call them and see if they would send someone out.
- I personally (I am younger than you...) would look at the deck while running and see if I could figure out where the noise was coming from. The deck has a number of pulleys and likely has springs and idler pulleys. Any of them could be squeaking. The belt could be twisted or routed wrong (unlikely if you are able to mow with it an extended period of time with no issues).
- With everything off I would move the deck with my foot back and forth and see if I hear the squeak. That could indicate the brackets holding the deck to the mower is the culprit.
- Finally, it could be your electric PTO (I assume your unit has one). That is directly under the engine just above the deck. It is what engages the deck belt when you flick/pull the "switch" to turn the blades on.

Let us know what you find!

J

James D West

Based on your response I would confirm:

- Tractor running and driving forward with blades off - No Squeak - Correct?
- Tractor running and not moving with blades on - Squeak?
- Tractor running and moving forward with blades on - Squeak?

It is beginning to sound like your deck.
- If you bought it at a big box store, I would try and do some further diagnosis and see if you can figure out where/what it is.
- If you bought it from a dealer I could call them and see if they would send someone out.
- I personally (I am younger than you...) would look at the deck while running and see if I could figure out where the noise was coming from. The deck has a number of pulleys and likely has springs and idler pulleys. Any of them could be squeaking. The belt could be twisted or routed wrong (unlikely if you are able to mow with it an extended period of time with no issues).
- With everything off I would move the deck with my foot back and forth and see if I hear the squeak. That could indicate the brackets holding the deck to the mower is the culprit.
- Finally, it could be your electric PTO (I assume your unit has one). That is directly under the engine just above the deck. It is what engages the deck belt when you flick/pull the "switch" to turn the blades on.

Let us know what you find!
Squeaks irregardless of motor on/off, blades engaged or not.
Squeaks with movement. Yard was a corn field 62 years ago and still pretty rough.
I'll will try moving deck with foot and everything off. Never thought of that. Tractor Supply. Cub Cadet 54" ztr. Rides like a log wagon. Mowed 1 acre +/- and LOTS of back pain next day. Old mower Troy Bilt 50" ztr. It rode rough but never this bad.
I see replacement seats - think they could help with ride?
I'll try the moving deck thing this weekend. Also plan to lift front end up with lift and get a good look underneath.
Thanks for the in depth reply.

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

I can almost guarantee it is your front wheel bushings. Either grease them, replace them, or convert to bearings. On one of my tractors, it squeaks when I drive forward because of the front wheel bushings, so I need to upgrade them to bearings. There should be a grease fitting on the rim.

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

Spray some WD-40 on mower deck mounting linkages, they tend to squeak.