Squeal like a pig

Coelacanth64

Threads
Folks,
My Cub Cadet LTX1046VT has developed a squeal in the area of the blower housing. This occurs whether the PTO is engaged or not, so a belt doesn’t seem to be involved. The motor is a Koehler Commander. Am I losing a crankshaft bearing?

Best,
Jack

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could it be the drive belt ?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If in the area of the blower housing could be the fan or fan screen rubbing on the housing itself. They can make a good racket sometimes when the happens.

Coelacanth64

Threads
Not the belt. This happens even when the PTO is disengaged. But, I’ll check to see if the fan is rubbing against anything.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not the belt. This happens even when the PTO is disengaged. But, I’ll check to see if the fan is rubbing against anything.
Since this is a vertical engine setup there is another belt besides the PTO. It is call the drive (motion) belt. Now the two IPL for this mower does not show a Kohler being used so this might be a transplanted engine. Or simple going the layman model is pulling up the wrong IPL. This is one reason why we insist on the model from the serial number tag that in this case should start with 13 or 14.

But as you said it comes from the engine shroud area so it should not be a belt. It is one of some problems that you got take the shroud off and have a look see yourself as we can't do it for you. Could be anything rubbing on the shroud or flywheel. I have yet to see a Kohler Command with a flywheel side ball bearing. Note flywheel magnets do come loose on Kohler engines and could be causing the noise. I even seen one rubbing on the crankcase because some idiot used an impact to install the flywheel and had busted the taper mount.

As I said it one of those things you got to look for yourself.

Coelacanth64

Threads
Since this is a vertical engine setup there is another belt besides the PTO. It is call the drive (motion) belt. Now the two IPL for this mower does not show a Kohler being used so this might be a transplanted engine. Or simple going the layman model is pulling up the wrong IPL. This is one reason why we insist on the model from the serial number tag that in this case should start with 13 or 14.

But as you said it comes from the engine shroud area so it should not be a belt. It is one of some problems that you got take the shroud off and have a look see yourself as we can't do it for you. Could be anything rubbing on the shroud or flywheel. I have yet to see a Kohler Command with a flywheel side ball bearing. Note flywheel magnets do come loose on Kohler engines and could be causing the noise. I even seen one rubbing on the crankcase because some idiot used an impact to install the flywheel and had busted the taper mount.

As I said it one of those things you got to look for yourself.
ST,
Yes, you are correct, and I’m an idiot. Don’t tell my wife. She suspects.
The motor is a Briggs, 23.0hp, Professional Grade.
I just took it to my shop and the squeal is gone. But, I’ll take the fan shroud off and look for gunk.
Fingers crossed.

Thanks,
Jack

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No your not if you can admit your mistake and learn from them. We all make mistakes. And I suspect your wife has done some pretty dumb thing too if she is like the ones I know here. It is the learning from those mistakes and not constantly repeating them.

Hey it could be worst. I knew a guy had a new walk behind that was refusing to start after he was using it. He go so mad he beat with a sledge hammer. Then as a after thought he check the fuel tank. It was simply out of gas. But he had to buy a new mower. I don't think going do that again anytime soon.

Coelacanth64

Threads
No your not if you can admit your mistake and learn from them. We all make mistakes. And I suspect your wife has done some pretty dumb thing too if she is like the ones I know here. It is the learning from those mistakes and not constantly repeating them.

Hey it could be worst. I knew a guy had a new walk behind that was refusing to start after he was using it. He go so mad he beat with a sledge hammer. Then as an after thought he check the fuel tank. It was simply out of gas. But he had to buy a new mower. I don't think going do that again anytime soon.
Uh,…no! LOL!!