Spring time problems

franchi

Threads
Hello All:

I am having problems with my Lawnboy 5239 mower. The serial number is: 5966717.

The problem no 1 is that the primer does not work. It was replaced a few years ago but since has not been lifting fuel into the carb.

The problem no 2 is that the long needle adjustment rod can not be screwed out far enough to richen the mixture for a non lean setting. It hits the bottom of the the tank before it allowing enough fuel to be added to the mixture. Thus it is always hunting for fuel. Perhaps a piece of debris is stuck in the main jet.

I suspect that an air leak is causing both of these problems. I sprayed the carb with brake cleaner and then water to determine if that would uncover an air leak. Neither caused any change. I guess that I could enlarge the hole in the main jet to get additional fuel to be drawn into the carb but seems too provincial and perhaps not addressing the root cause.

Problem no 3. What will cause fuel to run out of the carb throat when it is not running? I set the float height sans the gasket as instructed by the service manual. Perhaps this is incorrect. Perhaps the float should be adjusted with the gasket in place. What do you think?

Suggestions/Comments

Franchi

T