Speed control

mkittelson

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Troy-Bilt Rear-Engine Riding Mower that is three years old. Last fall the speed control started acting up. I would put it in 2nd gear to start mowing but it would start in 1st gear. I have an average city lot and half way through the first pass it would lurch and speed up to 2nd gear while mowing. Has anybody experienced this or have any ideas what could be wrong?

Last edited:

Born2Mow

Threads
Welcome Aboard !

Just trying to clarify the issue... And all this is without moving or accidently bumping the gear shift lever ? That is to say, the user's gear lever is exactly where you set it starting out ?

mkittelson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Welcome Aboard !

Just trying to clarify the issue... And all this is without moving or accidently bumping the gear shift lever ? That is to say, the user's gear lever is exactly where you set it starting out ?
Yes. I set the speed on 2 to start out. It will go no matter which speed you select. When i set it on speed 2 it starts on speed 1 then will eventually lurch and go to speed 2 so it speeds up. If I start on speed 3 it starts on speed 2 etc. It always starts at the next slowest speed. It is not caused by changing the speed lever while advancing which is well out of the way and can't be accidently bumped. This issue doesn't happen in reverse.