Spark all the time

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’m getting old, but I should be able to figure this out. I get good spark all the time. Kill switch connected and grounded, good spark. Kill switch open, good spark. Kill wire disconnected at the magneto, good spark. Good jump lead connected to a good ground, good spark. I know many here call me old and a stupid idiot, but this shouldn’t be that hard. Can someone educate me? Engine is Craftsman 143 . 993502, Tecumseh LEV 100 - 335010C

Last edited:

Lawn Pro
Threads
Wish I could help, you have helped me so many times. Someone will be along.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Let me see if I follow. Doesn't matter what you connect or disconnect you cannot shut off spark to kill the engine. Correct. If a lead from the kill tab to engine block doesn't kill spark then that could only mean that the primary winding wire has become disconnected from the kill tab internal to the magneto.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are correct, NOTHING KILLS THE SPARK. I was leaning toward a bad magneto, but didn’t want to toss one in until it was my last resort. I’ve been doing this a long time and I’ve never run into this problem before. Can’t get a new coil until Monday, so I’ll be running this through my brain all weekend. Thanks for your input. Will update when I can.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I think I remember coming across 1 or 2 over the years. The other one that would give you stress is the Briggs opposed twin that would run with either spark plug wire disconnected but wouldn't spark if both were connected.

Seems like there were a thread on here not too long ago with somebody having this exact issue with a Kohler engine.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I just did what I tell people not to do, I threw a good used coil on the the unit. NO change, boy I must be stupid. Did change one other thing in my testing procedure. Up to this morning I have been testing for spark by spinning the flywheel by hand, no plug sealing the cylinder. This morning I put everything back together and tested it with the plug installed. No spark with the kill wire on or off. Grounded my tester, plug installed but not connected to secondary lead. Spark both ways, kill wire ON and OFF. Somebody tell me to sell my tools, because something this easy should not be this hard.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Update. This morning I decided to start over. Installed original coil on unit and hooked everything up as it is supposed to be. Unit started up and ran good. Released emergency stop and engine stopped, no spark. Started again and ran for 10 minutes to heat up coil, figuring I might have a hot short inside the coil. Shut off the engine with engine switch, unit quit. All is working as it should. Only thing I learned is you can’t fix stupid. I have know idea of what I was doing wrong, but thank you IL for you input.